Upper control arm bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Diddles

n00b
May 28, 2021
Hey I recently got a 82 el Camino and have started working on the front suspension/steering. I got the nuts off the bolts holding control arm to the frame and was told the bolts should slide right out and not to try to wrench them out cause they are spline bolts. I got one out but the other 3 do not want to move. I’ve sprayed them with penetrating oil and try to tap them out but there isn’t a lot of room to swing a hammer. Was looking for suggestions?

thanks.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
As stated the bolts holding the crossbar on the front upper control arms do not need to be removed they have a splined edge that keeps them from spinning so you just have to remove the nuts and slide the control arm towards the engine to get it off assuming the upper control arm is detached from the upper ball joint.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you need new ones, you can get them using GM p/n 461854. Need 4 per car. List price is $11.35 but you're likely to find them cheaper pretty easily. 11516073 is the p/n for the nut to go with it. Need 4 per car. List prices is $2.44 each for those.

You can buy aftermarket at places such as ebay, but I have no idea about fit and quality.

They do have the serrations and I have had luck with a brass drift punch, or basically a rod, then mini-sledged them out. They don't simply go quietly into the night. Of course, the engine was out at the time making it so much easier.

Agree, you shouldn't have to remove the bolts to remove control arms. But if you have headers or other weird engine/exhaust combinations, it could make changing sh*t a bit more difficult.

Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Diddles

n00b
May 28, 2021
As stated the bolts holding the crossbar on the front upper control arms do not need to be removed they have a splined edge that keeps them from spinning so you just have to remove the nuts and slide the control arm towards the engine to get it off assuming the upper control arm is detached from the upper ball joint.
Yea upper control arm is separated from spindle. I have the nuts off but the control arm does not want to slide off. That’s why I was trying to remove bolts.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yea upper control arm is separated from spindle. I have the nuts off but the control arm does not want to slide off. That’s why I was trying to remove bolts.
Sounds like you got either bent bolts or heavy rust/corrosion around the bolts. JMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you try a big pry bar to break it loose?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor