Upper radiator support - what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
After I drove the mechanical fan through the radiator and grenaded my upper shroud when I hit a deer, I took the opportunity to change over to dual electric fans. The fan swap works quite well but since I have no upper shroud any more, the only way that the top of the radiator is anchored to the crossmember is with a few pieces of coat hanger wire.

I would really like a factory looking upper radiator mount to cover up the radiator, but havent found anything that correctly fits the width of the el camino's radiator. I thought about getting a new upper shroud to cut down to fit, but those are relatively hard to find around here and are expensive when you do.

I did find that the cover out of an early 90's Buick Park Avenue is quite close to what I need, but is about 2 inches too wide on the tank mounts. I could cut it down to fit correctly, but then it wouldn't look factory.

I am just curious what others have done in this situation.

Thanks,

Wageslave

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You need to find a radiator top plate from a V-8 Cutlass, Pontiac. No muss no fuss...it fits like it was meant to.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have this one sitting around with no use for it....off my v8 cutlass. Pm me if interested.
20151030_132156.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
You need to find a radiator top plate from a V-8 Cutlass

I have this one sitting around with no use for it....off my v8 cutlass.

THIS. It is what I used when I installed my fat four-core 26" aluminum radiator in my GP. I did need to 'hog out' the grooves in all four rubber cushions so they'd fit over the fat radiator, but once I did that, it installed perfectly.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

TRX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2009
Central Arkansas
I didn't know about the Olds upper, so I bend some pieces of flat steel over, lined them with camper tape, and made some upper clamps that way.

I'm also running two electric fans. A/C performance when stopped is poor. I noticed most (older?) GM cars with electric fans have an additional fan in front, just for the condensor, so that's my next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor