Urethane motor mount issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsjunkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Indy
Hey guys, looking for a little advice. 87 cutlass, 383 stroker with vortecs. Swapped the old rusty headers out for some new afterburners a couple months ago and had a pretty serious contact issue with the passenger side A arm. After closer inspection I noticed the motor mounts were looking pretty rough. Ordered the Energy suspension poly insert kit with the trans mount for an 87 monte 305. Got the mounts out, drilled, and the inserts put in. Started to bolt everything back up and noticed that the driver side didn't look like it was gonna bolt up. The ears on the inserts were binding on the engine side of the mount. Got the passenger side bolted up pretty easily. Got the drivers side bound up a couple times, and after a lot of cussing, ended up cutting the ears off the inserts. After cutting the ears off, the engine side and frame side will slide together, but the center hole is about an inch and a half off. I pull the frame side off and run the center bolt through. Lower the engine and the holes are way too high. Same clamshells, same engine brackets, the inserts are installed correctly with the bigger ear side toward the wider spaced holes on the baseplate, and the mount isn't upside down. Anyone run into this before? Options seem to be try to drill the frame holes to match, weld the b*st*rd on, pick up another engine side mount in case the PO rigged some mismatched stuff together, shave the poly to slide it up and shim the low side to keep it from sliding, or push the car into the cul de sac and light a match... :)

oldsjunkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Indy
So apparently someone used a motor mount out of a van on the driver's side...

oldsjunkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Indy
The mount went together fine Guru. I have a small concern with the ears being gone that none of the weight of the engine is being spread to the corners of the mount and is all resting on the center where the bolt goes through. Since I searched the internet for hours and never found comparison picture, here are a few shots showing the difference between the truck/van mounts and the car mounts.
IMG_20150506_162805.jpg
IMG_20150506_162816.jpg
IMG_20150506_162827.jpg

oldsjunkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Indy
I guess this should have been posted in engines/swaps to begin with, but in my fit of blind rage I stuck it wherever I landed...Feel free to move it mods.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The body is rejecting the heart transplant, put an Olds in it

You might have better luck in the Monte section... you basically have a very cool looking Monte now :D

Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I had the same problem. When I put my second motor in. I did cut the ears off my energy suspension mounts too, however everything lined up. Car clamshells are a must. My first motor we didn't realize there was a difference so it had truck mounts. I cracked 2 bell housings in 20,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor