Used 406 small block

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
This motor sounds almost Identical to my current ,I have a 260@ 050 crane cam solid ,I drive it everywhere ,runs extremely well mine is internally balanced ,I usually spin this motor to 7000-7200 ,200hp shot of spray ,can't wait to have my 496 done tho

I can't imagine needing much more power than this thing will put out, big blocks are super cool though don't get me wrong. I think a small block fits my purposes better though and should be significantly lighter which should help the handling a little bit, this 406 should probably be about 50 lbs lighter than the stock 305 I'd guess, since it's got aluminum heads instead of iron.

I don't plan to race it or set any records or anything, I just want to turn my little parts and dirtbike hauler into something that will keep up with or beat new mustangs and regular non hellcat challengers, and put a smile on my face. 😃

I'm searching like crazy for an 8.5 rear or a bolt in 9 inch to put in it now. I'm pretty sure the stock 7.5 is going to puke ring gear pieces all over the pavement with this new engine.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Sure.... until someone internally balances it. It depends on how many slugs are in the crank.
For Chevy you can usually choose if you want an aftermarket crank set up for internal balance so that it doesn't require any Mallory metal.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Well... I feel like I got blessed by the car gods tonight. I went to five different junk yards today keeping my fingers crossed for a G body with an 8.5 ten bolt in it to no avail (I didn't expect to have success), but then! Wouldn't you know it... One popped up on Facebook marketplace already pulled right down the road! My wallet is $800 lighter but I expected and was willing to pay as much as $1200 so I feel like I got lucky.

My elcamino picked up it's own new engine and rear in two successive days. 😂

One step closer. Now the rear needs to be gone through and painted but I'm hopeful it's in good shape guy was parting out a roached 87 GN.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
For Chevy you can usually choose if you want an aftermarket crank set up for internal balance so that it doesn't require any Mallory metal.

The forged rotating assembly kits for a 400 block from eagle/scat all seem to be internally balanced just from looking at summit/jegs/speedway, etc. I don't know about more expensive brands like callies or whoever. I'd assume they are as well, there's no advantage to external balance that I can think of.

• Informative

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The forged rotating assembly kits for a 400 block from eagle/scat all seem to be internally balanced just from looking at summit/jegs/speedway, etc. I don't know about more expensive brands like callies or whoever. I'd assume they are as well, there's no advantage to external balance that I can think of.
The less expensive kits are typically externally balanced, the advantage goes to being internally balanced.

• Agree

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
The less expensive kits are typically externally balanced, the advantage goes to being internally balanced.
Yeah, the cast crank kits seem to mostly be external and forged kits internal. And that's what I was saying, I can't think of any situation where external balance has any advantage other than cheapness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor