Uuugh! Rearbrake backing plate misery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Having no EGR doesn't make it run rough. It would ping under load. Maybe you have other issues, like was it leaking vacuum? Try plugging that vacuum line.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
Having no EGR doesn't make it run rough. It would ping under load. Maybe you have other issues, like was it leaking vacuum? Try plugging that vacuum line.
Assuming your referring to the one exiting the EGR Valve? I will have to recheck vacuum lines but didn't see any thing obvious the first look over. I reinstalled everything and just left the EGR Solenoid unplugged(for now).....

I was told that the car will run rough with no EGR unless I reprogram the ECM/PROM to not pick up on the absence of the EGR System.... Not going to mess with reprogramming..... Will fix correctly after I get my tax return, filed them yesterday.

Not sure if this will help in troubleshooting: cold too hot she always ran smooth. Now: Cold she is rough and the warmer she gets the more she wants to fall on her face? :wtf: Thanks............

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well a 91' is OBD-1 so I don't think the ECM even knows whether the EGR is operating or not. It may know if the relay circuit is faulty, by the reference resistance it measures, and sets a trouble code, but that's about it. Think about it, it tells the relay to enable the EGR valve by opening a vacuum switch which the ECM cannot monitor. Only an NO2 meter in the exhaust could tell what was actually happening or not. OBD-2 on the other hand, can tell if you had onions for lunch. :mrgreen:

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
Well a 91' is OBD-1 so I don't think the ECM even knows whether the EGR is operating or not. It may know if the relay circuit is faulty, by the reference resistance it measures, and sets a trouble code, but that's about it. Think about it, it tells the relay to enable the EGR valve by opening a vacuum switch which the ECM cannot monitor. Only an NO2 meter in the exhaust could tell what was actually happening or not. OBD-2 on the other hand, can tell if you had onions for lunch. :mrgreen:
So if it runs the same: EGR plugged in VS Not plugged in . Maybe as simple as chasing down a vacuum leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor