V-8's how much longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
So l started up one of the cars from it's winter rest only to find out it dropped a lifter, sort of knew last fall as l took it out before parking an it popped threw the carb when l stepped on it, but never thought much about it(forgot) until l started it up yesterday. For reference it's a 72 454BB stroked to 496.

So l phone the local go to parts store(NAPA) an ask them for a lifter. Now l should have known better that talk to a young kid there as l always talk to the main guy, so l tell him "lifter 72 454BB chevy" he says what litre? No idea, an in my head l'm going WTF! 15 minutes goes by an he comes back on the phone an says can't find anything. Wow, let me talk to Dave(Main guy) so he looks it up ( 1 min) says we have to order it, my thought "really!"

So 3 hrs later l go to pick it up an l ask Dave, l thought you would have that on the shelf? He says "unless it's a 4 cylinder we have to order it"

So l just wonder how long it's going to be before its impossible to get new parts for the older V-8's? Could be a Canadian thing!!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is it collapsed or wiped? I just looked at Autozone for a lifter for a SBC and they are all "order in store" or "ship to home" with none stocked.:blam:

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Is it collapsed or wiped? I just looked at Autozone for a lifter for a SBC and they are all "order in store" or "ship to home" with none stocked.:blam:

It's toast, l guess when the pushrods were plug with grit didn't allow oil to get threw for cam, we thought we caught it quick as the lifter never acted up until 150 miles on fresh build. Mild scratch in cam, could use it but changing engine back to carb from the Efi so adding better cam, intake a 950 carb

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Not on that engine, flat tapped!!
Nowadays I won't build any engine without having a budget for a roller set up with no break in issues, increased valve train longevity or having to run additives or special oils the added expense is worth the piece of mind it brings IMO.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Nowadays I won't build any engine without having a budget for a roller set up with no break in issues, increased valve train longevity or having to run additives or special oils the added expense is worth the piece of mind it brings IMO.

LOL, l've had that car for 20 years and the engine for half again, if l put 200 miles a year on one of them cars l'd be amazed.
So a roller system isn't so much of an issue.

And l can see an issue trying to find a roller lifter set up here, 3 weeks later!! Lol

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
As I mentioned in Clutch's thread, it's the Chinese cam cores everyone is using, coupled with the lack of zinc and phosphorus in oil. You're not the first person to wipe a cam; I killed 2. It's just too risky anymore. Like 565 said, put a roller in and you have no worries.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor