V-8's how much longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
All the more reason to learn to embrace the late-model LS and LT engines. Parts are available and come with roller cams; and heads flow like a BBC.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Parts will still be be available for a long time. The thing you have to understand is these part stores can't keep all the inventory of low demand parts of older engines. In defense I have 3 auto parts stores with-in 5 mi's of me that will get parts in a matter of hours. No doubt a roller cam is the way to go but in all my years I have never had a problem wiping a flat tappet cam. I just made a cam change in the Regal (flat tappet) and getting ready to break it in. Proper oil and procedure a must.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm not at all worried about v8 parts disappearing. It's just a case of stores stocking what it in highest demand.

Those of us who have run an older motor that was anything BUT a chevy v8 have been dealing with that in many cases for a good 15 years now.

I HAVE found that many a parts store in the low-income part of town tend to keep at least one each of the more common parts on the shelf for the older vehicles, since those populations tend to daily drive older and constantly breaking cars.

Walked in and out with ignition coil, cap, rotor, pickup, plug wires, monojet carb gasket, monojet air cleaner gasket, oil filter, air filter, blah blah blah for a 42 year old inline 6. Everybody else was either special order direct to home in a few days, or, next morning pickup in store (napa).

Reactions: 1 user

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I think as long as the internet exist, we'll be fine. Some of us happen to be in areas where we have access to "speed shops," and those places seem to have some of the more well known parts. Now if you lived near Summit Racing stores, there wouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't expect parts stores to cater to these markets. They only have X amount of space and that space is allocated to the fastest moving and highest volume selling parts just like any warehouse.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor