V6 to SBC Swap

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
050.jpg

As you can see I cleaned and painted my frame and I am getting ready to swap in a SBC in my 85 cutlass. I read through this whole forum but I need a straight forward answer about motor mounts. I already have the mounts that bolt to the block, I just need the ones that bolt to the frame. I here people say get the motor mounts out of a mali, monte, or el camino since they are chevy's. But shouldn't motor mounts out of B-bodies(80-93) and F- bodies with V8's work also? I figured they are all the same size.

Oregon350Cutlass

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
Im not sure about the b-body and f-body mounts,I got 87 monte SS mounts for like $5 new from the local auto parts for my 83 cutlass and they worked perfect.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
I ordered the motor frame mounts today. They are the same for all cars with the clamshell style. Autozone has the part number 2292. But I ordered mine from summit and their part number was A2292. Same thing though. I looked it up for an 85 Monte Carlo SS. I also looked it up for my 73 Impala and it was the same part numbers.

Apr 8, 2010
when i did the swap for some reason my fuel pump didnt work anymore. so i puut it a mechanical and it worked fine pulling it through the electric pump. just giving you a heads up.

EastEnder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2009
The first post mentions splicing or adding to the wiring harness. What is involved in that? Is that just to give power to the starter, ingition circuit etc? Also, if I go with a carb'd SBC, will any of the old idot lights on my regal work, if i connect new sending units into my sbc and connect them to the old regal harness? (ie water temp, oil press; i cant remember whats on my dash) Thanks for any help.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
joemomma918 said:
Can you use the same transmission if swapping the buick v6 to a chevy 350?

Only if it is a dual pattern bellhousing transmission.

79KLASSIK

n00b
Sep 10, 2010
i guess i have a similar question to this topic. i have 79 malibu that came with v6 3.3 motor. i changed to v8 4.4 260 out of another 79 malibu and i recently found a SBC 305 v8 but out of a 78 malibu. will it fit in my 79 and should the upgrades i to put the 4.4 v8 work for the 305 v8? also will it work for the time being with the stock 3 speed transmission. im new to this but learning so bear with me please. i swapped the engine my self and it runs great. so i can learn. just need some help, thanks.

Oregon350Cutlass

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
79KLASSIK said:
i guess i have a similar question to this topic. i have 79 malibu that came with v6 3.3 motor. i changed to v8 4.4 260 out of another 79 malibu and i recently found a SBC 305 v8 but out of a 78 malibu. will it fit in my 79 and should the upgrades i to put the 4.4 v8 work for the 305 v8? also will it work for the time being with the stock 3 speed transmission. im new to this but learning so bear with me please. i swapped the engine my self and it runs great. so i can learn. just need some help, thanks.
The 305 should drop right in and mate up to your trans no problem.Thats assuming the 4.4 is a small block chevy.I have never heard of a 3.3 or a 4.4.Only 3.8l 231 v6, 4.3v6 and the next step is 5.0 305v8 but I could be wrong.If I am someone will chime in and correct me.If it is a small block chevy, the upgrades should work as well.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor