V6 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Save up lots of money and then spend lots of money!
20180601_174911.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Shaimone brown

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 25, 2018
That is such a broad question and what are your intentions.
I don’t want to swap the motor but I do want a little more power out of before I start fixing up the body.everyone does 350 and other big blocks I want to be different.i don’t really need all that power just want to have a project car and maybe do a swap in the future.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Just get the stock V6 in good tune. It cost a LOT of money and time and effort to turbo one, expecially if starting from scratch. I'd search around for a GN or T Type someone is parting out. Or try and score a junkyard 4.1 V6 out of a big car like an electra from the mid 80s. The 4.1 is a bigger 3.8, has the turbo crank, factory 4 barrel intake, etc.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
When you turbo charge and or supercharge an engine .It needs to be built for it .Otherwise it wont last very long and other issues. I would just tune up you stock engine with maybe a intake manifold .Headers and or true dual exhaust .With high flow catalytic converters ( Depending on the state).Until you decide which way you want to go. I would also read up on Turbocharging and other ways .from HP books and other sources .They are available from Barnes and Noble .Summit and even your public library.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Since your on the forum , I'm assuming you have a na 3.8. your best bet is to fine an old blow through turbo set up.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Since your on the forum , I'm assuming you have a na 3.8. your best bet is to fine an old blow through turbo set up.
Not worth the trouble for 50 more horsepower. To put it in prospective. I started with a low mile draw though engines and then dropped 4000 bucks on that to get were I am at now. Being different comes with a hell of a price tag! Putting a Turbo on a engine is not as simple as just bolting stuff up, but well worth the effort.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Zack - can't agree with you more. Since we have a new-be with an idea I'm throwing ideas back. Hopefully he will put pen to paper he will find out how much it will cost to be different which he really won't be. Even my new Malibu is turbocharged.

IMG_5051.JPG

Last edited:

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
putting a turbo on a non turbo 3.8 will not last long. it would cost a bunch of cash to do it and the cast internals will not live. sure everyone goes for a 350, It is still the best bang for the buck especially in todays world where everyone is dumping theirs for LS swaps. not to mention a SBC swap is about as easy as it gets as far as engine swaps go

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor