vacuum gauge for edelbrock carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
looking for a site on how to tune a edelbrock carb using a vacuum gauge lots of info on otheir carb but not much edelbrock

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
its the same for every carb. you can really only tune idle air fuel ratio by vacuum. turn both mixture screws in all the way until seated (DONT CRANK ON THEM), and turn them back out 1.5 turns each. connect vacuum gauge to MANIFOLD vacuum port. if you remove the hose and it's sucking at idle, it's manifold vacuum.
start the car, adjust to lowest stable idle, say 600rpm in park. adjust idle screws 1/4 turn at a time. BOTH SCREWS NEED TO BE TURNED OUT THE SAME AMOUNT. if your rpm goes up, your engine liked that, turn it back down to 600. do it until either the engine stops gaining rpm or your get the highest vacuum. bone stock carbed v8s usually got 17-20" of vacuum. I have a mild cam in mine with a tight LSA (112), and still get 17-19. If yours is super wild, or it's not, and it's below 14", your timing may be off or you cam may be retarded (?).

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Latest Hot Rod magazine has a huge article on tuning with a vacuum gauge this month, one with the green Camaro and Mustang fastback on the cover

Reactions: 1 user

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
its the same for every carb. you can really only tune idle air fuel ratio by vacuum. turn both mixture screws in all the way until seated (DONT CRANK ON THEM), and turn them back out 1.5 turns each. connect vacuum gauge to MANIFOLD vacuum port. if you remove the hose and it's sucking at idle, it's manifold vacuum.
start the car, adjust to lowest stable idle, say 600rpm in park. adjust idle screws 1/4 turn at a time. BOTH SCREWS NEED TO BE TURNED OUT THE SAME AMOUNT. if your rpm goes up, your engine liked that, turn it back down to 600. do it until either the engine stops gaining rpm or your get the highest vacuum. bone stock carbed v8s usually got 17-20" of vacuum. I have a mild cam in mine with a tight LSA (112), and still get 17-19. If yours is super wild, or it's not, and it's below 14", your timing may be off or you cam may be retarded (?).

thank for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor