Values continue to RISE....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I have been continually following all aspects of the G body value increases in the past few years, conservatively speaking, it's been extremely impressive. With economic turmoil, our beloved G's are still fetching good coin, even the "undesirable ones" some may claim to be.

I've been following an auction on a 1979 CTC, this can be considered a "true value" assessment according to the "so called experts" on the forum, because it is an auction, where people will pay what something is worth, and from the looks, its obvious there are many who think it is, or are willing to pay decent monies for this car, NO ARGUMANET. I will post the link. The few lucky owners of these cars, can rest assured the values are coming around to our favor, ENJOY! Posting link below for your pleasure, and proof of course, because proof is substance where opinions are not.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have been continually following all aspects of the G body value increases in the past few years, conservatively speaking, it's been extremely impressive. With economic turmoil, our beloved G's are still fetching good coin, even the "undesirable ones" some may claim to be.

I've been following an auction on a 1979 CTC, this can be considered a "true value" assessment according to the "so called experts" on the forum, because it is an auction, where people will pay what something is worth, and from the looks, its obvious there are many who think it is, or are willing to pay decent monies for this car, NO ARGUMANET. I will post the link. The few lucky owners of these cars, can rest assured the values are coming around to our favor, ENJOY! Posting link below for your pleasure, and proof of course, because proof is substance where opinions are not.

FWIW, I dont know that I really pick BAT as a true market indicator because of the subset it represents, and, the lack of depth as to that market....

I've seen stuff on there underbid what a similar car brings in other points of sale, and, I've seen some things oversell.

Now, if you show me a BAT auction where 50 unique bidders drive a value up quickly before it levels off to two guys? I'll consider the level 50 guys had interest as a decent idea for a floor.

Likewise, if they sell 30 of a similar car over 8 months and consistently reach a similar level to different buyers and not just one guy with a fetish? Again, same level of confidence about a market being represented.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Auctions are general guidelines for price floors, IMO. It’s only proof of somebody having deeper pockets than the other guy. Auctions sometimes have shill bidding or two rich guys battle each other for bragging rights sending the sale price unecessarily to the moon. More factors at play depending on the day. If you had similar condition cars going for roughly the same price on average, maybe then I could buy into a going range.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good thing for prices to go up, if you’re selling. But it sucks if you’re looking to buy. Soon it’ll become a rich man’s game and the little guy will be priced right out of the game.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Auctions are general guidelines for price floors, IMO. It’s only proof of somebody having deeper pockets than the other guy. Auctions sometimes have shill bidding or two rich guys battle each other for bragging rights sending the sale price unecessarily to the moon. More factors at play depending on the day. If you had similar condition cars going for roughly the same price on average, maybe then I could buy into a going range.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good thing for prices to go up, if you’re selling. But it sucks if you’re looking to buy. Soon it’ll become a rich man’s game and the little guy will be priced right out of the game.
I agree with auctions. It's amusing here and on facebook, people complaining that cars are not worth what people are asking, but they are actually selling for close to asking price many times. Yes some are ridiculous on price, but that's certainly not the majority. It seems the people buying the average g body cars, they are still in the 10-15 year old prices, complaining that they are overpriced, then the people selling them agree that the prices have come up because they are getting more collectable. I also agree that it'll become the rich mans game, look at the 60's and early 70's muscle cars. I have Ohio auto and RV catalogs from the late 90's early 2000's that you can pick up a pretty much rust free roller Chevelle, Camaro, mustang, torino, roadrunner, charger, etc for a couple thousand bucks, and a complete pretty much rust free running car for 5-10k. What's those prices now days? It's just amusing that people buying want the price to stay the same or go down, UNTIL they buy, then the price can go whatever it goes up to so their "investment" looks better...

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
You both have beliefs I totally agree with and share. We can list markers of indicated values all day long, and to each their own opinion/s. Its undeniable however when you start to see as a whole, and on individual sales of certain Nitch vehicles such as the G's, to start climbing and, people whether it be one or 50 start to be willing to pay more for cars, or goods, this is a market indicator within itself of raising prices/values. As 69hurstols mentioned, good for sellers, not so good for buyers, but that's with anything in life honestly.

My pops and I had a conversation just today about one of his early cars he owned as a young adult, a 1957 Buick special convertible. The car had low milage on it when he acquired it, and he only paid $1,650 for it back in the early 60's. Fast forward to today, those exact cars are over $100K. IF you can find one. Yes, certain cars will have a stronger calling and will increase in value at different rates. Compare the 87 GN to this 79 CTC. The CTC will never pull the monies the 87 GN will, that's a given, it's the popularity/desirability factor. Something they made over 20,000 of has a bigger following/calling than something they made 61 of and the performance aspect has to be taken into factoring too. Take 20 years ago, if you told someone a 1979 CTC would be worth 2K over the dealer cost, you would consider then mentally impaired, when you could still find and purchase them for a few grand. Fast forward to current day, and here we are.

I truly believe, in my humble opinion, the market going forward will continue to rise, not only one these, but the GN's as well, and I'm just referring to the GN because I used it earlier as a comparison, but this will happen to all G body vehicles rest assure. FB groups, forums such as this and other sites for gathering places of car enthusiast keep growing with truly astounding numbers and popularity, yet availability will continue to shrink, in turn causing these spikes in value, S and D. I'm not complaining, nor should anyone else who owns a G body, its money in the bank. Individuals in the market to buy, surely will gripe, with conditions continuing to be unfavorable to the wallet for sure for those individuals. I always tell people, if you're in the market for something buy it today, because it will always cost you more tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor