Valve Adjustment ... With Engine Running or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I just did an oil change and I have adjusted the valves both with the engine running and while the engine is shut off but I still have light ticking/tapping that gets louder as I accelerate.

At first I thought maybe the engine was low on oil, or I'm not adjusting the valves correctly, but now I'm stumped and can't figure out why I can't get rid of the tapping/ticking.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Yeah I thought people would get a kick out of those photos.. those connections do look like s*** and I didn't notice the discoloration on the driver side near the front but I did notice how the gasket looks on that side, didn't seem right...

I'm going to have to drive the car like this until I can get some money to replace those manifolds with headers and probably dual pipe it out... How long do you think I can drive the car like this ?

Been driving it like this for almost a year now.
That's probably why I hear hissing when I press the gas pedal..

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok. Next thing to try is check manifold bolts. Yours should be 14 mm. Header bolts will be what they, most are 3/8, 11 or 12 mm 12 points. Or Allen key.

Snug up any loose ones and turn 1/4 turn. No more or you risk breakage.
I just put in new manifold gaskets and studs not even a month ago...all snugged up.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I would still check tightness on the manifold studs. And then reset the lifters to rule that out.

It sounds more like exhaust plus you have other issues with the loose mounting of the rear pipe.

As budgets go... You can only do so much. Understandable. But, you also need to look at front end you have a lot of suspension noise and the steering wheel being clocked where it is to go straight needs looked at and repaired properly.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
One thing you might want to look at is budget to eventually go shorty headers and true duals. Instead of burning up a lot of cash fixing the current messed up exhaust just be aware of the issue and put cash where the benefit would make more sense.

The bad front end will get you killed while exhaust tick is just an irritant.

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
One thing you might want to look at is budget to eventually go shorty headers and true duals. Instead of burning up a lot of cash fixing the current messed up exhaust just be aware of the issue and put cash where the benefit would make more sense.

The bad front end will get you killed while exhaust tick is just an irritant.
Yeah eventually I want to change the exhaust system..

What's wrong with my front end?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yeah eventually I want to change the exhaust system..

What's wrong with my front end?
On your drive could hear a lot of noise. Not sure of actual issues would have to get checked by creditable shop. But when you are driving straight your steering wheel is clocked like you are in a left turn. You need to at least check alignment.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
On your drive could hear a lot of noise. Not sure of actual issues would have to get checked by creditable shop. But when you are driving straight your steering wheel is clocked like you are in a left turn. You need to at least check alignment.
Gotcha... My alignment is fine, my steering wheel is cocked like that because I purposely put it like that when I rebuilt the steering column after a teardown to replace my actuator rod and hook and installed my removable steering wheel.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Yeah you can hear it rattle when I press on the gas hard and it hisses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor