Valve cover gaskets question

Status
Not open for further replies.

My85

Traveling Man
Dec 28, 2021
North Florida
Good evening all.
I'm new to the gbody and first time posting. I have a '85 regal base model v6 non turbo and am replacing the valve cover gaskets and have a question. I purchased felpro cork gaskets as that was all I was able to find. My question is do/should I use black rtv with the cork gasket and if so on both sides or only the cover side? Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered here previously. I did search and read through for the last few hours and wasn't able to find an answer, hence this post. Thank you in advance for any advice. If there's one thing that I've learned to this point in my life that is to ask for and take the advice of those who have gone before you. Attached photo is what I'm working with. Family owned since new, 37k miles. Pretty good condition just needs so tlc.

Attachments

• DSC_0562.JPG
    DSC_0562.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Welcome! And absolutely BEAUTIFUL Regal!

When using cork gaskets such as yours for the valve covers, I always use an extremely THIN coat on both sides, ALWAYS and for two reasons. 1. Is that it keeps the gasket in place while installing and 2. cork tends to sweat oil, and this process helps prevent this on the top and bottom surfaces of the gasket.

How I have done mine for years is to put a THIN layer on one side of the gasket that's facing the valve cover, install on cover and then put a thin layer on the gasket to engine side of the gasket, let it sit until its really tacky and the gasket doesn't slide or move, THEN install on car! Key here is to NEVR over tighten your valve cover bolts and work your way from the center to the outside while tightening the bolts. I actually always use a 1/4 drive with an extension and just "snug them"...I see so many people over tighten and you will have leaking issues if you do.

I hope this all helps and good luck! Again, welcome and hope to see you around the forum again!

William

My85

Traveling Man
Dec 28, 2021
North Florida
Thank you so much for the advice. Last night I did a little more searching and found the Fel Pro rubber ones with the metal core and went ahead and ordered them. So now the question is, is it the same advice for that style gasket with regards to rtv usage? Thanks again! Ps, I posted in the 'what did you do to your gbody today' more photos. Have a look and thanks for the compliments.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No RTV required with the rubber valve cover gaskets. The rubber with the rigid carrier are the best gaskets. I personally don't like plain cork and always coat them with RTV.

Reactions: 1 user

My85

Traveling Man
Dec 28, 2021
North Florida
Thank you all for the advice. Gaskets are set to arrive Friday, I'll check back in and let you all know how I made out. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor