Valve Lash Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What you you guy think about this method of adjusting valve lash. I adjusted my valves today but just to zero lash. I wasn't certain of the preload so I left it till tomorrow. I think this method is good and I don't have to look at any sheets to see what the next valve to adjust is. If any of you see any problems with this method let me know. Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think it will work fine, I know from adjusting SBC engines running I would always do a 1/4 turn past zero lash and I would wait about 10-15 seconds for the engine to smooth out before going another 1/4 turn.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used the method on the video and I like it, it was easier than having to 2 valves at a time for a roller cam. I preloaded the lifters 1/2 turn and it sounds great....:)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I do my BBC solid roller "Hot" I do one side at a time and I don't follow any specific sequence I just watch what is opening and closing and mark the ones that are done with a perma marker then button it up and do the other side.

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I couldn't get the video to load, but the EOIC method is a guarantee that you will have them correct as long as you set the preload to the correct spec. I mention correct spec due to I have a set of Morel lifters that require more than 1/2 turn on 7/16-20 adjuster.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I couldn't get the video to load, but the EOIC method is a guarantee that you will have them correct as long as you set the preload to the correct spec. I mention correct spec due to I have a set of Morel lifters that require more than 1/2 turn on 7/16-20 adjuster.

on the video it shows that you adjust the valves for zero lash whatever position the cam is in, then you turn the engine 90 degrees and adjust the lose rockers to zero lash, then turn the engine another 90 and repeat & repeat again till the engine has been fully rotated twice then the valves are adjusted. Then you just have to do the preload on all the valves as they sit. You don't have to worry where you are in the adjustment procedure and you don't have to be exact when turning the engine 90 degrees.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Adjusting valves to whatever the cam position is a crap shoot at best. If your timing marks are correct and you start at #1 when your motor is on #1 TDC and then rotating the engine 90 degrees for 2 full crank revolutions stopping every 90 degrees and adjusting the next cylinder in firing order, then OK - that will work. But picking any 'ole cam position and adjusting from there is silly.

I need to make some youtube videos on how to perform 'at home' brain surgery. Just because I made the video doesn't mean I know what I'm doing lol :):)

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Adjusting valves to whatever the cam position is a crap shoot at best. If your timing marks are correct and you start at #1 when your motor is on #1 TDC and then rotating the engine 90 degrees for 2 full crank revolutions stopping every 90 degrees and adjusting the next cylinder in firing order, then OK - that will work. But picking any 'ole cam position and adjusting from there is silly.

I need to make some youtube videos on how to perform 'at home' brain surgery. Just because I made the video doesn't mean I know what I'm doing lol :):)

Perhaps I didn't explain it properly, it worked on mine very nicely. The guy in the video has quite few video on engines and he has alot of experience. I did my valves by his method then I did it did again just checking the lash and they all were good. It is impossible to over tighten a rocker and all you are going to get is the zero lash with each lifter at they lowest point during the rotations.

this is the guy who does the video.....
Ellison's Machine Shop

Last edited:

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Basically the same way I do it on my solid cam - all you are doing is insuring that you are on basic circle.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I was able to get the video to load - finally.

Ken seems like a reasonably knowledgable guy, but wow, is that some extra work. The video took 22 minutes and he edited out the last 5 or so rotations of the motor. His system requires touching every rocker nut 2-4 times. Just seems like alot of time to do a 15 minute task. Ken mentioned losing track of what valves have been and have not been adjusted due to interruptions (?), I use a sharpie to mark each valve that's adjusted and touch each rocker nut once an only once. But I do rotate the engine alot more times.

I don't like the running method due to the mess and oil on header wrap. With that in mind though, use whatever works for you.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor