Vapor Lock Confirmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Yesterday after about 45 miles of driving I get on the highway and around mile 5 I start chugging and surging. The engine died and I coasted to a stop, pop the hood and take a look. My fuel pressure was zero at the carb gauge (mechanical Edelbrock pump) so I pull the rubber supply line at the pump and I have fuel. So fuel is at the pump but not the carb. Let it sit for about 20 minutes, crank it a few times, check the gauge and I have pressure so I get it home.

I have had this setup running for about 6-7 years and never once had this issue. It was hot and humid yesterday, but nothing unusual from other years. Temp gauge stays at 210 in traffic and on the highway can get down to 195-180. The only thing that changed was I adjusted timing a little (10 degrees base) and richened the carb this spring. I don’t want to go replacing the radiator and all kinds of stuff because I never had trouble before, but wanted your help confirming it is vapor lock that happened. I think I will try advancing the timing a few degrees and move my heater hose that is resting on the carb supply line:blam:

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
Normally vapor lock occurs at low speed or after a hot soak, but not going down the hyway, I might suspect fuel pump is starting to crap out, getting any heat source away from fuel lines is a good idea. Some fuels do boil easier then others but on the pressure side of the pump you would think it wouldn't happen, do you have heat spacer under carb?

Reactions: 1 users

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Normally vapor lock occurs at low speed or after a hot soak, but not going down the hyway, I might suspect fuel pump is starting to crap out, getting any heat source away from fuel lines is a good idea. Some fuels do boil easier then others but on the pressure side of the pump you would think it wouldn't happen, do you have heat spacer under carb?
I do not. I pulled the pump apart and the diaphragm was not torn and the spring was not broken.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Also check the rubber lines to the tank for cracks that could suck air. Possible sock in the tank restricted also

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
May or may not be related but I had the same problem on my 1979 van which turned out to be the module. The dielectric grease had dried up and when things got hot the module went wacky. Replaced - no problem

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if there was fuel at the feed line at the pump and none after the pump I kinda think the pump is bad

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
also if you have had the same configuration for years and driven in the same hot climate why would you think it suddenly developed a vapor lock.... :popcorn:

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
also if you have had the same configuration for years and driven in the same hot climate why would you think it suddenly developed a vapor lock.... :popcorn:
That’s why I’m looking for advice...I’m not sure. I can’t understand why I would have fuel on the supply to the pump side, but empty float bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor