verifying dualjet settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
hey everyone. i have an 85 cutlass with the 3.8 and dual jet. last october i had the carb rebuilt from i think J&J over in cali. if memory serves me correct it ran well all winter. here in maine. i then let it sit for 3 months because i didnt have summer tires and could not run it on the road until about 2 weeks ago. car runs reasonably well except just off idle or with decent load before it downshifts. shutters quite a bit. when it acts up. i want to make sure my idle mix is set right as well as throttle position before i take the carb off and take it apart.

what is the procedure for the idle mix adjustment?
what is the target TPS voltage?

thanks everyone.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The idle mixture is done by the car's computer. It relies on all sensors feeding the proper information to it. The carb is designed to run very lean. That said, if the idle mixture plugs have been removed for the rebuild, then the "double D" screws are accessable. I have solved rough idle and hesitation problems by richening up the mixture screws. That will fail you on emissions testing but if that is not a concern then I would try it. First screw them in and write down the amount of turns for each so you can set them back.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You can check your idle mixture with an analog dwell meter connected to the green plug. Fully warmed up at idle, in drive, the needle should swing but hover around 30 degrees on the 6 cylinder scale.

Reactions: 1 user

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
You can check your idle mixture with an analog dwell meter connected to the green plug. Fully warmed up at idle, in drive, the needle should swing but hover around 30 degrees on the 6 cylinder scale.

yeah that it does. I also brought my tps v down from. 56 to .38 just to see what would happen. nothing really changed so I guess it's time to open it up

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
took the carb apart and blew out all the passages. I also soaked and cleaned the tps. I'm leaning towards the tps was gummed up. all good now, runs like a champ

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor