Vertical door trim removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

87CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2019
Recently took all the chrome trim off around the wheel wells. Now I'm looking to take off the vertical chrome trim off the doors and looking for any tips on how to get them off

Attachments

• 20200309_140752.jpg
    20200309_140752.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
It's usually just pushed on so you should be able to just pull it off, I replaced the chrome ones on my car with black

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
A small block of wood, and a light tap with a hammer.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I agree with JAMCAR223

When I replaced the ones on my 87 Salon with NOS ones, because the originals were full of little dents (yay, they actually saved the door edge) I taped up the end of a wood paint stick and left the end bare. I angled it as much as I could pointing backwards leaning over the open door with the window down. Maybe about 1/2" space left between the end of the stick and the door panel. Basically trying to drive the door trim straight back. I didn't trust myself not to accidently whack the door either so I taped up some cardboard on the door panel where I was going to use the rubber mallet on the stick. Carefully just gave it a few VERY light taps with the mallet and it came right off, and didn't dink the door or screw up the paint. I ran some polishing compound and some wax in that area, then on went the new guards. After several years, they can get a little gunky behind there. Clean it up good.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
TIP: If you plan on reusing the trim, tap it off from the bottom first. There's a thin spot at the door line break that will fold over if you start from the top. That's what happened to me when I did mine. I didn't care as they were going in the trash anyway, but if you even think about trying to save them, tap them off from the bottom first and then work your way up.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor