Vin Y Olds 307- HELP setting timing- Need help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
I've successfully bypassed the ECM by inserting paper clip into AB pins of the ALDL. Now I'm trying to find the vacuum line that runs to the distributor and I CAN'T locate this thing to save my life...Anyone out there can post a picture or give me some help locating the distro vac. line so I can proceed with setting the timing. This is my first time doing this so please pardon my newbie questions..Thanks in advance to anyone who responds..

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I don't remember my old distributor even having a vacuum line. I think it ran completely off the computer. I still have it in my attic. I'll take a look. If you're getting everything off the ECM then it's probably a good idea to get a vacuum advance distributor.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
You can add a vacuum advance to yours.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
alright well I can't find it but I'm nearly positive it had no vacuum line. If your car is running fine on the ECM at the moment then it might be a good idea to leave it as-is for a while. If you decide for sure to go that route then keep in mind you could need a vacuum advance carburetor as well. The completely vacuum operated setup worked out pretty good for me but keep in mind you're still putting money into a vin "Y" 307. The money you might spend on the 307 could instead be money saved for an engine swap. Your call.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
Re: Vin Y Olds 307- HELP setting timing- Need help

307 Regal said:
alright well I can't find it but I'm nearly positive it had no vacuum line. If your car is running fine on the ECM at the moment then it might be a good idea to leave it as-is for a while. If you decide for sure to go that route then keep in mind you could need a vacuum advance carburetor as well. The completely vacuum operated setup worked out pretty good for me but keep in mind you're still putting money into a vin "Y" 307. The money you might spend on the 307 could instead be money saved for an engine swap. Your call.

@307regal are you running Vin 9 or Vin Y? which exact distributor and carb are you running? the reason that sparked all of this is that my engine is running rich as hell right now...that gassy smell when running ..and when i turn the engine off it just smells up my garage and it gets rises through the ceiling/floors upstairs. this started last week but before then i knew it was running rich.

i was planning on going with a vac advanced distro and replacing the carb with a 70-72 qjet from Guarenteed Carbs..but i've been thinking about going with a holley. After that i'll ride this for a year or two while i stack for a chevy with a 350 already in it..but the 307 only has 37,800 miles on it so it's almost new to be honest. it just sat for a few years after my granny passed. She put 30K miles on it in 13 years. if i can get a set of 5a heads for the low i'll put those on and change the intake to a edelbrock. i already have a TH350 transmission being rebuilt now so i'm trying to keep this freshen up lite on my pockets. but i wanna do the distro and carb like in a week or two if anyone has any part #s or other info..i appreciate everyone's feedback on this...

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Just 37,800 miles?! Dang! :shock:
Alright back on topic. I'm running a vin Y 307. My carb is a used 600cfm square bore Holley 4160 with electric choke and vacuum secondaries rebuilt by myself. It didn't cost much but it did take time. Since it's square bore I had to use an adapter to get to spread bore. I'm told (after the fact) that those adapters can actually lower cfm. Also the specific adapter I bought was made by a company called CP. It was total junk and I had to modify it. (I even had to grind a notch in the side for the throttle to open all the way.) When I tried to look up the company website, google warned me that the site might be hazardous to my computer so I just said "forget it." Should have at least gone with Mr. Gasket. All in all though, after I got everything sorted out it still performed better than my computer controlled unit. If I were you I would stick to your q-jet plan. It would probably be easier and you should be able to keep your stock throttle/trans cable bracket.
I'm running a Summit brand distributor. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850006/ It works well but the tight clearances with the hole make it a real bear to get in and out. Actually if the engine gets too hot, I can't even spin it to adjust timing so I have to let it cool down for a minute. (maybe an Oldsmobile thing? anyone else know?) The important part for me though is that I was able to get it setup correctly and it works good for me. The throttle is much more responsive than it was.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA

lg1200 said:
307 Regal said:

@307regal are you running Vin 9 or Vin Y? which exact distributor and carb are you running? the reason that sparked all of this is that my engine is running rich as hell right now...that gassy smell when running ..and when i turn the engine off it just smells up my garage and it gets rises through the ceiling/floors upstairs. this started last week but before then i knew it was running rich.

i was planning on going with a vac advanced distro and replacing the carb with a 70-72 qjet from Guarenteed Carbs..but i've been thinking about going with a holley. After that i'll ride this for a year or two while i stack for a chevy with a 350 already in it..but the 307 only has 37,800 miles on it so it's almost new to be honest. it just sat for a few years after my granny passed. She put 30K miles on it in 13 years. if i can get a set of 5a heads for the low i'll put those on and change the intake to a edelbrock. i already have a TH350 transmission being rebuilt now so i'm trying to keep this freshen up lite on my pockets. but i wanna do the distro and carb like in a week or two if anyone has any part #s or other info..i appreciate everyone's feedback on this...

well when your cars off the timing certainly has nothing to do with a gassy smell in your garage, i would start by looking for leaks off the line form your fuel pump to the carb, a faulty gas cap, things of that nature.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL

lg1200 said:
307 Regal said:

check the purge valve that goes to the fuel bowl. the valve goes bad and starts sucking fuel in making it run rich. hope this helps.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
CCC distributors don't have vacuum advance. The computer controls the timing advance. The point of grounding the computer ( or just unplugging the 4 wire connector to the distributor ) is to stop it from giving you any advance so you can set the base timing.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
DoubleV said:
CCC distributors don't have vacuum advance. The computer controls the timing advance. The point of grounding the computer ( or just unplugging the 4 wire connector to the distributor ) is to stop it from giving you any advance so you can set the base timing.

@DoubleV So basically with the CCC distributor I'd just remove the 4-wire plug running to the back of it to adjust the base timing? Would I do this with before starting the engine or after? Common sense says do this when the engine isn't running but i'm just curious..Also if/when I go to a vacuum advanced distributor and a new carb what would need to do with the harness connection that was previously going from the computer to the distro and carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor