Vintage Air A/C system available for G-bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Not sure i want to spend 2200 bucks, and the kit doesn't give you the evaporator, compressor, accumulator. I have been trying to locate some installed pics of the system, no such luck yet. I may buy a chevelle evaporator kit (whichever year has the knobs for controls), and make it fit. For a 1000 dollars less, with more parts, it is worth it to me.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
$2,200 freakin bucks is crazy... lmao, i have always removed the a/c from all my gbodies, and with t-tops its not really needed... besides, i bought one of the cheap 1 can refrigerators, tore it apart, took the cold sink and stuck it behind a small fan that runs off a usb phone charger and VIOLA, instant air conditioning, sure it doesnt work as good as a real A/C but it cost me less than 10 bucks and blows COLD air at me when stuck in traffic and it keeps me cool... gets down to about 40°-45°...
COULDNT FIND PICS OF THE PAINTED FINISHED PRODUCT, BUT HERES THE PIECES... I will take pics of the finished product ntomorrow when i go in the car, being lazy and watching street outlaws

Attachments

• CAM02286.jpg
    CAM02286.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 1,354
  • CAM02282.jpg
    CAM02282.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 1,405
  • CAM02281.jpg
    CAM02281.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 1,416

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Vintage Air unit really does clean up the engine compartment...but at $2200.+ bucks, I think I'd look for another alternative.
Maybe just retrofit the stock setup using a better compressor and newer components.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
BPTTONE420012 said:
i bought one of the cheap 1 can refrigerators, tore it apart, took the cold sink and stuck it behind a small fan that runs off a usb phone charger and VIOLA, instant air conditioning

This sounds like a great idea. I share your distaste for real air. Right now we're triple digits around here. Having ridden motorcycles in this heat, I can say an uncooled car is much better because you're mostly in the shade, but this hack of yours sounds like just the ticket. How about a tutorial with pics? I've never heard of these "1 can refrigerators".

You mean like this?

Attachments

• 1canfridge.jpg
    1canfridge.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,158

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
BPTTONE420012 said:
COULDNT FIND PICS OF THE PAINTED FINISHED PRODUCT, BUT HERES THE PIECES... I will take pics of the finished product ntomorrow when i go in the car, being lazy and watching street outlaws

Thanks a lot. I'm lazy too or I wouldn't be asking you to tell me all about it.... :mrgreen:

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
its a cheap japanese ebay piece of junk that plugs into a usb and is made to hold one bottle or can... i posted 3 pics so far heres a couple more...

Attachments

• CAM02287.jpg
    CAM02287.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 1,239
  • CAM02283.jpg
    CAM02283.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 1,202
  • CAM02279.jpg
    CAM02279.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 1,270

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I built something similar to the VA system a few years ago:

No glove box though. It's a tight fit:

Modified the stock AC duct work by cutting off the defrost vents and using an epoxy puddy I molded in some exhaust tubing to the ends so that I could connect the flexible ducting to them:

Used more exhaust tubing and some sheet metal and glued these pieces to the back of the stock dash pieces to adapt the center and passenger A/C outlets to the new flexible ductwork:

Stock A/C controls were modified to operate the new evaporator and blower motor:

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
BPTTONE420012 said:
its a cheap japanese ebay piece of junk that plugs into a usb and is made to hold one bottle or can...

I take it this is a Thermoelectric Cooler (TEC), based on a Peliter Element, which is a kind of semiconductor fabrication. So far, I've seen conflicting statements on how long they last. But the same idea is used to cool submarines? Just getting started looking into this.

EDIT: Hmmm .... same tech as in the Coleman types that have been around quite a while, only I never looked closely enough to know about it. Figures.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
jiho said:
BPTTONE420012 said:
its a cheap japanese ebay piece of junk that plugs into a usb and is made to hold one bottle or can...

I take it this is a Thermoelectric Cooler (TEC), based on a Peliter Element, which is a kind of semiconductor fabrication. So far, I've seen conflicting statements on how long they last. But the same idea is used to cool submarines? Just getting started looking into this.

EDIT: Hmmm .... same tech as in the Coleman types that have been around quite a while, only I never looked closely enough to know about it. Figures.

not sure, i know it looks exactly like a heat sink, its a little square metal plate with two wires sticking out of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor