Vintage Air Kits for G-Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Folks, I have been researching doing a vintage air kit for my ’79 Monte for almost 2 years. After a couple calls to vintage air and surfing any forums that I could find, I had resigned myself to buying a generic kit and trying to make it work.

The folks at Vintage Air had been VERY helpful and I had soon compiled a parts list.

Fast fwd to March 2013. I decided to give it one more shot before I ordered a generic kit. I googled vintage Air & G-body and found that somebody is actually working on a custom kit! There is a thread on a Buick forum that has been documenting the build. I’m getting in line to get a kit as soon as they come out. The custom G-body parts will only be available from ArizonaGN and G-Body Parts. I've never ordered anything from either of these guys, and have no idea about them.

I don’t work for either of these places, but I know that MANY of us have either removed the factory A/C stuff or would like a clean firewall. The folks on the forum have always been VERY helpful to me. That is why I’m sharing this. My little way of giving back. That way, when it gets released, you can get yours… Right after I get mine. :cool:
Later,
Russ

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I had thought about one I'd those kits also. Not for a clean firewall, but for a more efficient ac system. ill be watching this thread.

Chopper

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Midland, MI.
Would you have to use a heater style set up or does it look like the whole thing would be available? At some point when I put my junk together I have to chose between the ugly original AC or a heater box only. Summer cars deserve AC and I like to drive in comfort! :D

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Guys,
To my knowledge, the custom kit will use the Magnum IV Vintage Air system:
http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalog/2012 VintageAir Catalog Final WEB (Page 40).pdf

The advantages to me are the modern technology, no vacuum lines and a clean engine compartment. They even developed a clean block off plate where the heater box is currently mounted in the engine compartment.

I just checked and the kit has not been released yet, but hopefully soon. I already bought my electric fans:
http://automotive.flex-a-lite.com/r...ctric-fan-with-variable-speed-controller.html

And radiator support:
http://www.dixiemontecarlo.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=DM10155 WITHOUT

They were suppossed to have the first kit here, and be taking orders at the show:
http://turbobuicknationals.com/

That is what I know for now.

Russ

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
I'm in the same boat trying to get ac back into the car with a shaved firewall. Front end is off now and engine out so it would be the perfect time. Whats the round about cost on a condensor, compressor and anything else needed? I see the universal vintage magnum system for $698 at summit. Anywhere cheaper?

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
The more universal stuff you can prob get from e-bay or maybe Summit (compressor & condensor). For the stuff that is custom to G-bodies, you will get those from either ArizonaGN or G-Body Parts. All the info I have is from this guy:

Nick Micale
3334 W, Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
www.arizonagn.com
[email protected]

He has bee on the front line developing this kit and has been very good about answering my questions. I'm HOPING that this stuff will be available SOON! After driving Power Tour last year without A/C, I decided that after 20 years without it in my Monte, it was time to put somthing back. Guess I'm getting older! :)

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Would totally get this kit if it is available BEFORE I finish up my car. Hope fully before the winter. would be more efficient than the stock system I bet.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I installed a vintage air compact several years back, was a bit of fab work involved. Cut the glove box down to a letterholder & my blockoff plate has a buldge in it to give more room for the unit, similar but simpler than the kit being developed, which I saw on ls1tech forums. Connectors from hose to air & defrost vents need to be made or adapted. Of course dash needs to come off to do all this & fab mounts for unit. My local ac shop had the capability of making lines for me.
Like many other types of swaps, there are several methods of doing every aspect of what's needed. I'm sure I came out a lot cheaper fabbing everything myself. My only regret is not having a larger unit, such as the now available magnum 4. Also if I was to do again, I may buy the make your hose kit, run them like I want to, put index marks ,& have a shop crimp them for me.

CuttyKid442

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
Washington,DC
rmorman said:
Folks, I have been researching doing a vintage air kit for my ’79 Monte for almost 2 years. After a couple calls to vintage air and surfing any forums that I could find, I had resigned myself to buying a generic kit and trying to make it work.

The folks at Vintage Air had been VERY helpful and I had soon compiled a parts list.

Fast fwd to March 2013. I decided to give it one more shot before I ordered a generic kit. I googled vintage Air & G-body and found that somebody is actually working on a custom kit! There is a thread on a Buick forum that has been documenting the build. I’m getting in line to get a kit as soon as they come out. The custom G-body parts will only be available from ArizonaGN and G-Body Parts. I've never ordered anything from either of these guys, and have no idea about them.

I don’t work for either of these places, but I know that MANY of us have either removed the factory A/C stuff or would like a clean firewall. The folks on the forum have always been VERY helpful to me. That is why I’m sharing this. My little way of giving back. That way, when it gets released, you can get yours… Right after I get mine. :cool:
Later,
Russ

Well I know that if Brian from Gbody parts is involved it's going to be a quality product and good customer service.
So I will definitely keep my eyes open.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
http://arizonagn.net/

It appears it is complete. Seems kinda pricey though, I don't think there is a compressor with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor