Vinyl top question

Status
Not open for further replies.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Do you have to remove the windows in order to remove the vinyl around them. Or do you just pull the vinyl off..headed to the garage to tackle that project for the day and pray for no rust

Nov 4, 2012
Yes, you have to remove the windows to get the vinyl top off. The hardtop windows have a different seal around them and you'll need to find a set if you aren't going to be putting a vinyl top back on the car.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Yes, you have to remove the windows to get the vinyl top off. The hardtop windows have a different seal around them and you'll need to find a set if you aren't going to be putting a vinyl top back on the car.
Thanks i figured that... With removal of the window how did you go about it without damaging them

Nov 4, 2012
Thanks i figured that... With removal of the window how did you go about it without damaging them

The windows are held in by (5, I think?) speed nuts and butyl. Remove the speed nuts and lie down on the back seat and slowly apply pressure to the window with your foot. The butyl should keep it from falling. Once you just barely break the seal, get up and pull the window off from the outside.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
The windows are held in by (5, I think?) speed nuts and butyl. Remove the speed nuts and lie down on the back seat and slowly apply pressure to the window with your foot. The butyl should keep it from falling. Once you just barely break the seal, get up and pull the window off from the outside.
Thanks brother i appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor