Vinyl top removal rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diegog

n00b
Jun 8, 2018
so I have an 81 Regal vinyl top and I pealed of the vinyl to make it a hard top and found a sh*t load of rust. Mostly where the windshield is and it looks like I can’t repair it. Is there any site or place where I can buy roof skin or any other gbody roof skin that’ll be compatible? I’m stuck in the mud with this roof now.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
what? the factory tops are only half tops. Should be no rust near the windshield, because of the top. Only roof skins i see are the rears for a t top car. might have to find a parts car.

Reactions: 1 user

Diegog

n00b
Jun 8, 2018
Yup. My car has a full roof vinyl.. I was thinking of finding a donor to take roof off but can’t find one donor near my location. Neither junkyards have the Regals. I’ll be hitting a junkyard this weekend that’s about 2 hours from me to see if they have any

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
I have a little near the passenger side of windshield. Have the 'landau' roof.
*Like this?

Attachments

• Olds Winshield 001.JPG
    Olds Winshield 001.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 407
  • Olds Winshield 002.JPG
    Olds Winshield 002.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 396
  • Olds Winshield 003.JPG
    Olds Winshield 003.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 417

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have seen only one full vinyl top Gbody in person and I could already see spots that were rising from the rust underneath.
I can only imagine how bad it really looked under there, now a days I avoid vinyl top Gbody's like the plague.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow, the worst possible scenario. A few of us have found ugly under them. Check out Donovan's Project Olds Cool for the proper way to fix bad rust under a vinyl top. I also would never buy another vinyl top car.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor