GRAND PRIX Vinyl top replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmarie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2020
Hey everyone! I have a 78 grand prix that i have been working at. It has the padded vinyl top and it needs to be replaced because it has a bunch of cracks. I find all sorts of videos on replacing tops but none on the g bodies. I know theres a plastic frame in the back and i have no idea how to even begin this project. Any pointers or links to helpful videos would be so appreciated. So far everything on my car has been done by myself and my dad so if it seems feasible i would like to try this myself as well. Thanks! 😊 20200404_165808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
....here's a good place to start on removal :)

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hey everyone! I have a 78 grand prix that i have been working at. It has the padded vinyl top and it needs to be replaced because it has a bunch of cracks. I find all sorts of videos on replacing tops but none on the g bodies. I know theres a plastic frame in the back and i have no idea how to even begin this project. Any pointers or links to helpful videos would be so appreciated. So far everything on my car has been done by myself and my dad so if it seems feasible i would like to try this myself as well. Thanks! 😊 20200404_165808.jpg

I fixed your typo... :)

"Hey everyone! I have a 78 grand prix that i have been working at. It has the padded vinyl top and it needs to be removed because it has a bunch of cracks"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I fixed your typo... :)

"Hey everyone! I have a 78 grand prix that i have been working at. It has the padded vinyl top and it needs to be removed because it has a bunch of cracks"

Actually, Ill fix BOTH of your Typos :rofl: ....."Hey everyone! I have a 78 grand prix that i have been working at. It has the padded vinyl top and it needs to be removed, and once I remove it, i will not be seen around on G body forum, i will be heading to therapy after the shock of whats under there!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

catmarie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2020
Actually, Ill fix BOTH of your Typos :rofl: ....."Hey everyone! I have a 78 grand prix that i have been working at. It has the padded vinyl top and it needs to be removed, and once I remove it, i will not be seen around on G body forum, i will be heading to therapy after the shock of whats under there!!
I grew up in northern new york where literally everything is rusty. Also spent much of my time in garages growing up. I can handle it. Lol

Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I grew up in northern new york where literally everything is rusty. Also spent much of my time in garages growing up. I can handle it. Lol
Gotta Love NY, salt central! I truly hope its clean under there for you, but if its already showing signs of cracking, the moisture alone with the combination of GM being cheap and lazy, not finishing off the underside of the roofs like they should have, chances are it'll be rust :/ Keep us posted!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you get the material, I can't see it being that bad. The key is getting the right glue. You want something that will hold up to the heat of the sun. We used to get Landau top cement from an interior shop when I was doing stereos. They had a huge pot that they sprayed from, and I would just get a Gatorade bottle full, then brush it on. The closest I've found is the FLAMMABLE, red label Weldwood by DAP. It works okay on retained joints (headliner welting), but I'd try to get the real deal for an exterior application.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

catmarie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2020
If you get the material, I can't see it being that bad. The key is getting the right glue. You want something that will hold up to the heat of the sun. We used to get Landau top cement from an interior shop when I was doing stereos. They had a huge pot that they sprayed from, and I would just get a Gatorade bottle full, then brush it on. The closest I've found is the FLAMMABLE, red label Weldwood by DAP. It works okay on retained joints (headliner welting), but I'd try to get the real deal for an exterior application.
Thank you. I will definitely look into that!

catmarie81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2020
Ok Im back and as you can see the roof is in pretty perfect shape. Got the landau top all removed. I am now pretty sure i just want to do the vinyl delete. I have purchased the rear window chrome trim and after the paint job will put it on. But my question now is what do i do with the quarter glass? I can't seem to find any trim that will fit my 78 grand prix. Will the chrome trim actually fill in the whole gap on the windows? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20200627_194058.jpg
    20200627_194058.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 266
  • 20200627_194033.jpg
    20200627_194033.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 300
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor