vinyl top

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
took cutty to a upholstery shop today wanted to see the cost to replace the camel top to black,they said mine was in mint,they can just recover it in black for 550.00 or take it off install new pad for 850.00 i thought about removing it completely. but i like the top. any ideas what other ppl think about keeping/ removing the top.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since your vinyl top is mint they used to make some good vinyl dies that used an applicator(not spray can) that worked pretty well, somebody probably still makes them or there might be places that actually will dye it.
If I was going to pay all that money just to R & R a top to change color I would just remove it myself and leave it off.
I have always preferred a gbody without a vinyl top, to me it looks cleaner and sportier and less maintenance they have always seemed to me that it would be something on a luxury car.
If I had left my half vinyl on after my Montes transformation people would think who's the moron that put a vinyl on a Monte SS.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
yah i talked to them about dying it but he said that they can do it but it will dry out alot faster and after a couple years the dye will crack.he don't recommended it. thanks for your in put

jmerc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2009
If your going to replace it anyway why dont you try dying it first. You can always replace it if it dont come out to your satisfaction or in 2 years when it cracks. you can use the money to do something else in the meantime. just remember if you do do it that prep is 90% of the job. Prep it right and you should be fine.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Remove the top it kills the look of these cars. You can put the $500 to $800 toward the paint and body work.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Burnhard said:
Remove the top it kills the look of these cars. You can put the $500 to $800 toward the paint and body work.
That's just a matter of opinion.

If you like the vinyl top, as do I, get it redone with the existing backing in the colour of your choice. You could get quotes from other places as the prices can vary by a couple hundred dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor