Vinyl top

Status
Not open for further replies.

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
I have a question in regards to the 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix vinyl top. What color top do I have or better yet what did GM call it for Pontiac? To myself looks tan but I have been diagnosed at a earlier age as color blind. Can anyone help with this answer? 14F492E6-DBF2-4CC1-B9F3-DBD663FD3B7D.jpeg

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
That might be a GMAD tag instead of a Fisher Body tag. Now after looking at the codes I was wrong on the color as it looks whit in the pic on my lap top. Seeing the 40T tells me your roof color is Pastel Green. Guessing from over 40 years of sun bleached the color a bit.
After looking at other pics since I am color blind my wife and I arrived it could be green since pastel green is very light in shade

Reactions: 1 users

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
It's that with certain pigments that have a excessive amount of UV the colors fad & get sun bleached that will cause such effects. It will actually be more of a yellow shade (most likely one of the heavier used tint to make that color) that will make it look tan. 42 years of sun isn't kind to vinyl. As for the original shade of green your roof & trim was, it's a very light shade of green. If you would expose a section that ha been covered since your car was built you would find the original shade of green it was.
I would agree 100% since my wife and I aren’t restoring this car except to get it more presentable and roadworthy going to be best her and I clean up the top as best we can when we clean the car. We have been doing other small projects. Case in point vac lines, high blower fan, seat out to be fixed due to bad drive gears and such top seam from one side to other has come apart from trim or shrunk..lol. We plan to glue it back down and put a nice piece of trim to extend it and be presentable

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
40T is confirmed as Pastel Green vinyl top.

As for the vinyl top, I've heard of people using those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to help remove dirt/stains. No idea, just throwing that out there.

Reactions: 1 user

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
40T is confirmed as Pastel Green vinyl top.

As for the vinyl top, I've heard of people using those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to help remove dirt/stains. No idea, just throwing that out there.
Thanks kind of at a standstill till we get first cleaning done and a little repair to see what we actually have looks like someone painted the trim a tan color but under is definitely pastel green

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I have a question in regards to the 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix vinyl top. What color top do I have or better yet what did GM call it for Pontiac? To myself looks tan but I have been diagnosed at a earlier age as color blind. Can anyone help with this answer? View attachment 185386
So I just noticed this. You have a GP but that is clearly a Buick emblem on the trim in the photo. Something is going on here. Maybe your top has been replaced in the past. My 78 GP doesn't have trim at all, just a piece of bulb seal bonded to the front edge.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
In fact notice how the trim overlaps the quarter window trim. I think at a minimum, that trim was added and as such is likely the wrong color

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor