Vinyl Tops Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I see this all too often where an otherwise clean Gbody has a vinyl top that basically ruins the car and unlike this one there aren't always telltale signs.
I hate to see what is really under this vinyl top.

1649553362953.png

1649553391978.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Could make for a nice convertible.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The most inherent problem child in the G-body lineup is the vinyl top roof on these things. No matter how meticulous you are with it, unless you keep it in a de-humidified room all its life, it will likely rust to some degree under the top. From what I've seen, they used some sort of padding under the top, which collects and distributes water across the non-painted surfaces of the metal underneath. And it just sits in a water bath. Caught in a rain storm, or just normal washing the car will do it. If you're lucky, you won't get too much other than surface rust. If you're not, you'll have pieces of top come off in your hand when removing the vinyl.

They look great and formal and all when new. Nice appearance feature in general as it adds some classy aura to the car. But it's a cancer death-wish for the car. They never ever considered anyone keeping their cars for more than 10 years when they built them, so longevity wasn't built-in to their plans. Unfortunately, vinyl tops are almost a guarantee of some degree of rust issue underneath. Just expect the worse, and be glad if it's just surface pits when the time comes.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Totally agree vinyl tops suck ,just a big sponge on the roof
I searched for a hardtop model when I went car shopping
They have much cleaner lines ,in my opinion anyway

Reactions: 1 user

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
I've always avoided vinyl top cars. Even in the southwest, the vinyl traps additional water, and fine sand in the lower rear window channel. Am speaking of 69-72 Chevelle bodies here. Add the fact the rear window lower channel doesn't drain, like a similar year Nova, and it is a recipe for rust and then rot. Back in the day, when living in New England, used to pop off the rear window trim periodically, and vacuum out the channel. A bit OCD might say.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
I find the full vinyl top cars don't seem to have the "sponge" padding underneath.
If kept up and not cracked they don't seem to suffer as bad from top rot as the landau top cars do.
If allowed to crack and seep water under, all bets are off.
If you see the "zits" bubbling up underneath, its too late.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor