Vinyl Tops Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Anyone heard of or used some sort of product to seal up a vinyl top as a temporary way to keep water out? As much as I despise the top I'm not ready to paint the car so probably looking at another driving season with it on. It definitely has a few good cracks. Or maybe sealing it up is worse because what ever is under there already is truly trapped then. And I guess uv may be a bit of an issue too.
I remember this from Por15 to help protect the vinyl roof (& simular items). Not sure exactly how water proof/repellent it is but might be the best band-aid out there.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Also vinyl top cars have different quarter windows from the hardtops. The rubber trim around vinyl top windows is trimmed thinner.
It depends on the car and the top, my Monte used the same quarter window seals but I used quarter windows from an SS since mine wouldn't lay flat from spending all of their life being pushed out from the foam padding.
I believe this is probably not an issue for 78'-80' Gbody's because of their styling.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
The vinyl came off this roof and there wasn't any significant rust under it. What do I do with this lip? Grind It Off?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-201916_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-201916_Gallery.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 67

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The vinyl came off this roof and there wasn't any significant rust under it. What do I do with this lip? Grind It Off?
How is it mounted?
Mine had an aluminum channel riveted to the roof with a flexible plastic/rubber molding that went over that to cover where the vinyl ended.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
It depends on the car and the top, my Monte used the same quarter window seals but I used quarter windows from an SS since mine wouldn't lay flat from spending all of their life being pushed out from the foam padding.
I believe this is probably not an issue for 78'-80' Gbody's because of their styling.
I was lucky my 81 Malibu had a landau top, but it had regular b pillars.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
How is it mounted?
Mine had an aluminum channel riveted to the roof with a flexible plastic/rubber molding that went over that to cover where the vinyl ended.
The seller ripped it off before I got there... I didn't see any holes. Only noticed the lip where the vinyl was. I looked at the car after sunset early in March. I'm gonna have to go look more closely at/in/under and with a magnet. Right now trying to figure out what this wavy gravy is. AFAIK car is in original paint.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-215121_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-215121_Gallery.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220303_182711.jpg
    20220303_182711.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 1 users

will.s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2021
BC
I remember this from Por15 to help protect the vinyl roof (& simular items). Not sure exactly how water proof/repellent it is but might be the best band-aid out there.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
If you are referring to the one in my first post this is it.
It's really a shame that vinyl is on there, a lot of potential for this car.
View attachment 196231

The vinyl top rust would scare me too, passing on it based on that?

Seems those tan/saddle interiors always get so dirty or the dirt just appears so easily.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The vinyl top rust would scare me too, passing on it based on that?

Seems those tan/saddle interiors always get so dirty or the dirt just appears so easily.
I would pass on it because of the vinyl if it was local but it's in another state plus the fact he wants too much money for it and it's a roller for $5,500 but I would like my next project to be an 81' and up Cutlass with t-tops and buckets with console and definitely no vinyl top

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor