Voltage drop on gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
So when i use the blinkers the needle on the volts guage will bounce. When using headlights the needle drops to 12 on the gauge and stays. The wire from battery to alt is new. 10ga. New alt 2wire plug. The ground cable from battery to block is new. Power cable from battery to starter is new. Alternator tested good. What else can i do to stop the bouncing? Or is this kinda normal on older cars?

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
14.6 volts on battery and alt with 0 loads at idle.
Headlights with brights, fan on high and 1 blinker going and battery and alt were at 14.1 volts.....but the guage shows deep in the red and pulsed with blinker.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
I wonder if the guage or part of the wiring going to it is bad....if alt and battery are staying at 14volts with load..... but by the time it gets to the gauge it reads less than 10 volts...something between the alt the guage is the issue?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Do you have a ground from the block to the car body?

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Do you have a ground from the block to the car body?
Now that you mention it....thats the only 1 i have seen and not replaced. I moved the alt to the passenger side today. The meter reading is better after i moved the alt...but guage looks worse now.........seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor