Vortec 5.7 With carb setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
ok so I have been looking on instruction on how to run a fuel pressure regulator on my Ls that had a v.6 doing a vortec swap on it so i need to get things going i been looking through all these forums and cant find a dang thing!!! has anyone done the vortec swap that has pictures or videos that can assist me with this i figured i would start a new thread so that all those newbies that are looking for this info have quick access to it. Also i have a serpentine setup of a 93 tbi truck as far as i know it should bolt right up but my buddy says it wont anyone have problems with an older serpentine setup?

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
When you say Vortec you are talking about the 1996-2000 5.7 motors or are you talking about something else? If you are going to a carb with any of these motors just get the vortec intake a HEI and bolt you belts on the motor and your set. I don't use the fuel pump in the tank, just get a electric that is set up for a carb and hook up the red wire to a hot one when you start the motor and ground the black wire and your off.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Ok so I bought a 350 vortec with 906 heads said it had a blown head gasket and they weren't lying I drained the pan and oil mixed with water afterwards I. Pulled the pan and oil pump and and took them to the car wash and pressure washed all the gunk off both te pan and pump I let them air dry and sprayed the oil pump out with brake cleaner before I put it all back together my question now is how do I drain the last off the oil should I prime the engine with transmission/ oil mix? Also I want to get these heads machined anyone know I a good machine shop here in phx that I can take my heads to get a 3 angle valve job

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 372

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Plenty of 3rd gen F body guys run their V6 TBIs on V8s like the vortec. Should look at Thridgen forums about it.

While you have the pan off, you better check the bearings to see if the antifreeze turned them black, if they are black they are toast.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Looks like the intake gasket went out and made the mess. Great platform to start with and everything you need to have a great runner. The heads most likely don't need any machine work BUT I would be sure to REPLACE the rods and main bearings. These are stock run of the mill standard bearings, and are not the much to replace. When you have the crank out be sure to clean out the oil passages. Better yet just take the parts block crank pistons and rods all to the car wash and blast them off. This will clean up most of the soup in the motor but be sure to mark the pistons and rods as to what hole they came out of. You will need a electric fuel pump because the roller cam in the block does not have a lobe and the motor is not drilled for one. Just get a inline bolt on pump and your set.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Have all these parts of the vortec left over what you need hit me up with offers I have the v6 distributor with wires alternator ac compressor with hoses all brackets water pump I have 2 sets of 350 stock exhaust manifolds and a 350 vortec intake stock f course

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 348

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Nice right up in Car Craft on doing a $500 build on a JY vortec with the mild marine cam. Same as GMs ram jet 350 except they did not use the 1.6 rockers for the extra bump in HP. I have done I think 5 or 6 of these motors and all have been impressive I even have one in my bracket truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor