Vortec Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Would a fuel injected Vortec motor be able to be swapped into a GBody? I mean as far as engine wiring and such.

A buddy of mine has a Vortec motor in his 06 Trailblazer SS and he's taking out the whole drivetrain.

How would I get one to work?

1986elcamino383

Apprentice
Jun 29, 2009
South River NJ
is it a vortec or a ls motor ? If your geting all th wiring then you should have no prob of corse you will need to upgrade your fuel system but I have seen it done . Good luck :D

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
That would have a 6.0 ls style engine in it, not a gen 1 vortec. Ya it prolly says vortec in the plastic air cleaner lid but it's a different animal. You can do it but it's an expensive swap, big money in just mounts and headers. Plus you would still need another transmission since (i'm pretty sure) the trailblazer ss had all wheel drive.

A little off topic but why is he pulling the drivetrain out of it?

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
He wrecked the car and didnt have full coverage.

WHat about the Vortec Engines from the 90's cars and trucks. 4.3 V6 Vortecs from Blazers, S-10's etc..?

WOuld I have to change them to carbureted for them to work?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Damn, that sucks!

The 96'-up vortec and 86-95 swirl port(tbi) motors would be an easy swap. They would still use the same mounts and headers that any old smallblock would. I would say it would be easier to swap them to a carb istead of fi. Although if you wanted fi then the tbi motors would be the easier choice.
Kinda the same deal with the 4.3s. The tbi motors would be easier than the mpi versions. I personally would go the small block route though, just as easy to find as the 4.3 and parts to switch to carb would be easier to find used.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
You are talking about you would switch it to a carb because why computer to run it? Anyway I would definitely look into what it would take to do the 6.0 LS motor especially if he can actually get the engine reasonable it may overcome the other costs. There are vendors and at least one website with parts pics & prices for this swap hopefully someone can post if for you. The 6.0 LS would be dramatic improvement over an sbc 1 motor across the board.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
I was reading up on Vortecs and I see that some came with aluminum heads..

I found a Vortec 350 in a 1999 GMC Savanna Van. Would this be a good motor? It has less than 90,000 and I can get it dirt cheap. Does anyone know the specs on this motor? Thanks

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
gbodyera said:
I was reading up on Vortecs and I see that some came with aluminum heads..

I found a Vortec 350 in a 1999 GMC Savanna Van. Would this be a good motor? It has less than 90,000 and I can get it dirt cheap. Does anyone know the specs on this motor? Thanks

The L31 vortec motors don't have aluminum heads. If you seen a vortec with aluminum heads it was probably a 4.8, 5.3, 60, gen 3 engine.

The 350 in the van should be the l31 vortec motor. Good engine, roller cam, and obviously vortec heads. May not be able to use a mechanical fuel pump on it. Are you gonna try to run the efi or switch to carb? One warning, when I was gonna rebuild the one in my 97' Yukon, I found out they went to a metric ring pack in these vortec motors. Piston rings cost over $100 compared to $40 for an earlier engine.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Plus if you are planning on running a Carb you have to get a specific carb intake.. Personally i would just save up some cash and get a LS series engone and keep it injected. Even though i have a Vortec 350 in the works and plan to use it for now because of the heads, roller cam. I plan on later getting a LS series engine either out of a Camaro, Vette, or GTO...

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
I can get the engine from the trailblazer ss and the Vortec from the van for about the same price. Im only looking at about $300. Someone mentioned earlier that the LS engine swap was expensive and Im not trying to go that route as of now. If I do choose to get the Vortec motor, I plan on keeping it injected. Ill keep you guys updated on whatever I choose to do.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor