vortec head install on older sb chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutdoggin442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2011
hi everyone i am in the process of installing vortec heads on a 1969 model chevy 350 and wanting to know what to all look out for and some good tips. i have a mild .470 cam with long-tube headers weiand speed warrior air-gap intake holley 670 street avenger pretty much stock bottom end rebuilt except the installation of cast flat top pistons. right now i have some 76cc heads shaved all the way down to about 70cc with 3-angle valve job and mild porting on intake side. i am swapping those out for a set of 062 heads with valve job guides cut down to handle more lift and mild porting with new seals from a family known machine shop owner. i was mainly wanting to know roughly what size push rods to use. i dont know the deck height on the block i have the self-align rockers with the heads going to buy new push rods any info would be appreciated thanks

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
I am just finishing up my engine and am using the same heads. The block has been zero decked, heads bolted on with a .028 thick compressed headgasket, flat tappet cam.... measured for pushrods and wound up using 7.794" which I think are the stock length. I orded COMP Cams #7812-16. If you are still using a non-roller cam I would think you would use the same, but do check to make sure. I am about 1-2 weeks away from hopefully hearing what a 396 CI SBC sounds like.

Your compression is gonna go up a bit using the vortec heads also (you probably already knew that).

Is that intake for the vortec style heads? If it was on your old heads I don't think it will work.

cutdoggin442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2011
no i'm buying a weiand speed warrior for vortec heads. i only had em milled just enough to get the rough cut factory mill smooth and had one bent valve replaced, reground the valves, replaced seals, and minor intake porting for 120$; magnufluxed hot tanked and blasted also. with only that much shaved i should be ok with stock push rods. what head gasket did you use (brand, type, and thickness). they were the 305 vortec heads with the castle symbol on front (trash). hopefully a good 40hp with 062's thanks

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
pretty much all u need is a vortec intake and your good to go, all accessoried bolt up the same. and you'll need centerbolt valve covers. but you have to get a vortec intake because they dont have the 4 middle bolts like the rest of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor