Vortec Head Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
I found a cheap pair of vortec's that I'm gonna buy. What else will I need to complete this swap? Also, can I use the intake from the motor that I'm pulling the heads from?

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Idk if anyone makes a vortec TB to carb adapter. If its the same base plate pattern as the older TBI then yes you can use it. Really the only other thing you would need is the passenger side exhaust manifold if you want to retain EGR cause the vortec heads dont have crossover.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
your intake will depend... pre-vortecs have the bolts that go in at an angle, and vortec intakes only have 4 bolts on each side that go in straight up and down... I ended up just buying a new edelbrock on fleabay for about $200 with the shipping.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what year/make/model/engine did the vortecs come from?

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Thats what I have in my car. I am running a Performer with Edelbrock/Carter AFB. It does alright but next spring I will get a bigger cam plus the block is set up for a roller cam. :mrgreen:

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) GM started using the Vortec heads on 96+ trucks - Edelbrock & Holley make aftermarket intake manifolds for carbs to run Vortec heads (along with their own aluminum version of Vortec heads) - there's several different styles, check out their website, it'll give you more specific info. The old-style manifolds are not a direct bolt-on, but again, correct me if I'm wrong.
Idk if anyone makes a vortec TB to carb adapter. If its the same base plate pattern as the older TBI then yes you can use it. Really the only other thing you would need is the passenger side exhaust manifold if you want to retain EGR cause the vortec heads dont have crossover.
I've got a TBI 350 and the intake had to be modified slightly to bolt on to the heads - I'll get a pic in the next day or two...also, make sure the casting number is 10239906 and 12558062, as these are the Vortec heads you'll want.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
85Frankencar said:
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) GM started using the Vortec heads on 96+ trucks - Edelbrock & Holley make aftermarket intake manifolds for carbs to run Vortec heads (along with their own aluminum version of Vortec heads) - there's several different styles, check out their website, it'll give you more specific info. The old-style manifolds are not a direct bolt-on, but again, correct me if I'm wrong.
I've got a TBI 350 and the intake had to be modified slightly to bolt on to the heads - I'll get a pic in the next day or two...also, make sure the casting number is 10239906 and 12558062, as these are the Vortec heads you'll want.

No what hes asking is if the stock factory vortec intake can use a carb with an adapter. To which I replied that if the vortec intake has the same style throttle body base as the TBI trucks then yes an adapter can be used.

Any 12 bolt intake adapter to vortec heads or vice versa is a half assed fix. They have different runner designs that will not match up and require a fat bead of silicone to seal therefore defeating half the purpose how having an after market intake anyway.

IF the factory manifold cant use an adapter than do it the right way and get a vortec style intake. Having the heads drilled for 12 bolt intake will not work properly.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
Okay so if I'm reading this right I CAN use the intake off of the vehicle I'm getting the heads from if it is TBI? All I will need is the adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor