Vortec or non vortec 4.3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
When it comes to a 4.3 v6 Chevy what engine of the 2 will out perform and which is more capable of higher numbers I know someone would have the answer hear so I thought I'd post it. I believe the vortec has better flowing heads so does that mean the non vortec is not capable to do the same just a little side project in working on

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Thanks one last thing the plans are to find a t5 for a vortec v6 but if at all possible keep it with a manual clutch not hydraulic any ideas

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You could use a T5 transmission from an '80s Camaro or Firebird with the manual bellhousing. be careful though, as the V8 trannys can me mounted on an 18 degree angle, which would put the shifter on an angle on a standard GM bellhousing. If you can find a bellhousing from a 1983 F body (Camaro, Firebird) with a V8, then you could use that, but they're rare and hard to find. If you're looking for a transmission with a shifter position that is further forward, then you could try to find a T5 from an '80s S10. The only thing to be mindful on those, is that the input shaft is slightly longer than a regular 90 degree V6 or V8 Chev transmission, and will have to be trimmed or the transmission spaced away from the bellhousing. I'm kind of in the early stages of a similiar project, so I've checked on some of this stuff already. Good luck.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
I'll look into that so I went to the bone yard the other day found some early 80s firebirds with a 5.0 and the t5 so technically I can use that transmission and that bellhousing behind a vortec and keep it mechanical and not hydraulic. Basically we were going to throw it in a Datsun truck but who knows I might throw it in my wagon and replace the tired 229 3 speed Saginaw so my ? Now is with that being said will that be a direct fit in my 81 malibu wagon replacing the Saginaw 3 speed I figure I will Need to cut the trans tunnel to accommodate the t5s shifter it'll move it to a different spot but the rest will work like pedals and z bar

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
I just found that only a 83 t5 came with the mechanical clutch so if I find one of those it'll work with my g body pedals and z bar linkage will the bell housing from my Saginaw 3speed fit the 83 t5

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Bump :bump:

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Sorry for the late response, been busy over the past couple of days. There is a thread in the wagon section on this site, from a guy who is building what he calls an IROC Malibu wagon. He posted some information and photos regarding clutch linkage and bellhousings which you may find helpful. I'm in the process of gathering up parts for a similiar project that I have here. I have an '81 Iraqi Malibu with the 229 and 3 speed Saginaw, and I'd like to replace the 229 with a mildly built up carbed 4.3, and swap the 3 speed out for a T5. Just something a little different. A bit zippier than the 229, and a bit easier on fuel than a V8. As far as I know, if you want the shifter on the T5 to come out close to the original 3 speed shifter, then you need to get a T5 from a mid to late '80s S10 with either the 4 cylinder or the V6. The S10 T5s had the shifter mounted further forward than the Camaro or Firebird T5 trannys. I haven't actually made any measurements, or tried to install the transmission yet, so I don't know if this is a sure thing or not. I have an S10 T5 here, and I know that it will bolt up to the bellhousing, but as I said before, the input shaft may have to be trimmed, or the transmission spaced away from the bellhousing, in order for everything to fit together properly. I know I looked at a site for a company that manufactures a spacer that goes between the transmission and bellhousing, so that the input shaft doesn't have to be trimmed. If you go with a T5 from a Camaro or Firebird that was originally a V8 car, then it should bolt up to the bellhousing and the engine OK, but the shifter is further back. Or you could get both the Camaro V8 T5, and the S10 T5, and try swapping the S10 T5 tailshaft housing onto the Camaro T5, but that's alot of work on a fairly simple project. I'll see if I can find the name of the company that manufactures the spacer. Sorry for the long post.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The name of the company that manufactures the S10 T5 bellhousing spacer adapter is called Hamilton Intakes. If you Google the name, it should take you right to their site. There is a good explanation of the issues there, along with some photos. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor