• 4L85-E

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
dan2286 said:
shotgun said:
What time of day is it being installed? :rofl:

Will the person installing it be intoxicated?

it will be installed at 27:00 hours and the two guys working on it will have a case of everclear

I know the modern version with overdrive is SUPPOSED to be stronger but we'll see.
huh? the 4l80 has been out for what, 20yrs now? it's so good that bentley, rolls-royce and aston-martin use them, and they survive in HD trucks with everything from big blocks to heavy diesels. hell, i think the mil spec hummer even has a variant of the 4l80! they are plenty strong.

OK, but who uses them in high HP hot rods besides car magazines? The T-400 was introduced in 1965 and was used when 427 Vettes and 455 BOPs were available, and guys hopped them up even more. My 2 ton 6.2 diesel truck had one and it was indestructable, even after 25 years of torture. They only stopped putting them in Trans Ams in 75' because the HP was down and the catalytic converters wouldn't fit. Racers have been useing them for forever because they are cheap and plentifull and no computer needed. HPP is putting a new 4L85-E ("Supermatic") which is even stronger (685-lb-ft torque) than the 4L80-E into a 503 hp, 522-lb-ft torque 74' SD-455 TA. A rough total of the bill is $6,431.00 -SO FAR. I realise he said Bill Gates was bankrolling this, but c'mon, lets get real. Plus he said this is a 600 hp road car (!?!) so with 3:73 gears ,yeah, you need overdrive. I'm just saying if it was me, running a torque monster 455, I'd go with a T-400 and 3:08 rear gears, but I'm not Bill Gates and I like things simple.

bowtie has a level 3 (500+hp) for $2500, CKperformance stage 2 (1500!!!!!!hp and tq) full build with manual valve body and trans brake $4000 stage 1 (750hp) is $2500 full build.
there are plenty of people using them. IIRC, the duramax diesel in the GN that gets posted here every so often has one. and a number of guys at pro-touring are using them.
you have to remember, a 4l80 is the overdrive version of the 3l80/th-400. the same principles that make the 400 great (being built for heavy work vehicles) work for the 4l80.
IDK if the 80 is stronger than the 400, but i would say they're about the same. especially if you get rid of the union or mexican assembly process.

TH-400 with gear vendor overdrive. Best of both worlds. Strong transmission and 6 gears. This way you can keep the 3.73 and get respectable mileage and keep the rpms down. Or get the electronic version with a gear vendor and have 10 or 12 gearss

I vote 6L80E... who needs a transbrake with 4.02 1st gear... if you're going to do an overdrive do it with style.

But I voted the th350 cuz it's the best geared transmission up there, that's my opinion, with a little research it becomes a fact :wink: Just don't take it on long drives

3rd vote would be 2004r

I chose the 2004r because like stated countless times, OD with 3.73s is a must.

Second choice is a 4L80E because in stock form they are stronger then a heavily modified 4L60E. May take a little effort to stuff it into the trans tunnel of a G-body but it'd be worth it.

Where's the Allison at? Surely Bill Gates can have the big wigs at GM whip something up to adapt an Allison to an Olds engine 😀

Attachments

• ss 3.JPG
    ss 3.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 102
  • ss 4.JPG
    ss 4.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 101
If it were me I'd have myself a Switch Pitch 400... I like 400's they're simple and handle loads of power... Sure a 200 will handle loads of power too, but how much $$ do you have to put in one to get it up to mild 400 standards?

And as far as the GM auto ods go.... I'd just tend to stay away from them if it were one of my builds... I like simple

Then again if I wanted OD I'd use a T5.... I like stirrin' gears...

silent_orchestra said:
If it were me I'd have myself a Switch Pitch 400... I like 400's they're simple and handle loads of power... Sure a 200 will handle loads of power too, but how much $$ do you have to put in one to get it up to mild 400 standards?

And as far as the GM auto ods go.... I'd just tend to stay away from them if it were one of my builds... I like simple

Well since it's Bill Gates and I always heard Bill can not drive a stick .... that rules out the T56. I bet Bill would take the Allison, have it backward engineerred to make it lighter without giving up much of it's strength .... I suspect generous use of Kevlar, Titanium, Carbon Fibre and maybe even some Unobtainium.

DrRansom442 said:
silent_orchestra said:

Well since it's Bill Gates and I always heard Bill can not drive a stick .... that rules out the T56. I bet Bill would take the Allison, have it backward engineerred to make it lighter without giving up much of it's strength .... I suspect generous use of Kevlar, Titanium, Carbon Fibre and maybe even some Unobtainium.

I'm not even sure if Bill Gates can get ahold of Unobtainium..... maybe very small amounts, but not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor