What project would you do?

• 1980 Malibu Classic (Custom)

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner (Original)

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a college student's budget the Malibu wins hands down. Alot cheaper to get it fixed than the complete restoration on the road runner. The Mopar is easily the more valuable car though. Sit on it until after college when you can afford to do it right. I know, I'm sitting on a 68 RS/SS L78 Camaro myself right now until my twins are not breaking me from a child care stand point. I'm kind of a chevy guy despite my Pontiac wagon. A 383 Mopar 450 H.P. ? A chevy 383 has a hard time making that without a roller cam and aftermarket heads. I would put a chevy 383 against the Mopar anyday. Still plan on using stock iron Mopar heads or are you talking Indy heads or something?

The problem is that you can't compare a 383 sbc to a 383 big block chrysler. A 383 is almost exactly the same as a 440. They used the same heads, cam, etc. I'm looking at trying to leave the car stock since it is a #'s car. In 71' they used the 346 heads which were opened chamber heads. I was told that if I find a set of closed chamber heads or max wedge heads, that rating could easily be reached. Another option is the stealth heads sold by 440source.com that are aluminum fully ported for 900$ for the pair.

So now you have to swap heads too? Hmmm...
You said it was just cam, intake and headers. Want to add anything else while we're at it?

This would be where I say I told you so.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... index.html Claiming 500+ with iron heads, does have a roller cam. To me 383 cubic inches is 383 cubic inches. I don't get hung up on the Big Vs. Small block thing. It's still 383 cubes. I'm betting that big block mopar weighs more too. Sounds comparable to me. I still don't believe everything I read though. I worked at a machine shop for awhile. Guys coming in with magazine articles wanting to replicate buildups NEVER saw their motor make what the magazines claimed. Magazines are in the business to sell magazines and often their build ups are not true to form.

normally i'd go with the roadrunner. they're beautiful cars and uncommon.
but, the malibu doesn't need all that much. one note on the malibu, when the engine lost air flow, the excess oil temp probably roasted the bearings, that's why you lost oil pressure. luckily crank/rod bearings are easy to do, and basic bearings are cheap. cam bearings are a bit harder as you need the right tool and i have no idea how to check cam bearing clearance. you may also need to have the journals polished. if you were running synthetic, things will be in better shape. but it all still comes down to a basic check and rebuild. the floor pan can probably be patched instead of replaced, from what i understand and the suspension isn't that hard.
whereas the roadrunner should get a complete going over as it's numbers matching. i say get the malibu up and running, then as you can fix the roadrunner.
besides, what will you do with the 'bu if you don't fix it? you lose tons on the sale as is. and to have it sitting there? it'd kill you.

A 383 Mopar 450 H.P. ? A chevy 383 has a hard time making that without a roller cam and aftermarket heads
not really. my 383sbc is a very mild build and estimated at 400hp (that's the realistic est, based on what other combo's have been proven to make)

Ahhhhhhhh............ 400 is not 450. 50 H.P. is quite a bit at that level. How come everyone has "estimated" numbers? When your talking H.P.or torque numbers no dyno sheet for proof is like believing someone has a all original 70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 without the protecto-plate or any of the proper paperwork. Might be true, but more than likely it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor