Votes: 31 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
The 427 was probably my 16 year old dream. I was broke too!! It's unfortunate the 229 was such a unicorn. I had a Caprice with one and it was a great driver just pretty slow as you say. Maybe a TBI 305. That's almost a bolt in to be honest. Good aftermarket support. There's a jillion crusty f cars and trucks out there. It should knock down about 17 or so mpg with the 3 spd. Freshen it up, bolt it in with new mounts and springs. Get a V8 radiator. Cut the shroud down. Bingo. It'll be stone reliable and if it breaks when you are driving it in the middle of nowhere you can still get parts.

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Oh, I know, you "can" build a 500HP EFI engine that has cruise, street, and strip tuning maximizing the detune for cruising. But, we are on a budget here right?

A 500HP engine requires transmission and rear end and suspension, brake, wheel, tire changes to hook it up . . . ca ching. Otherwise you have an unsafe vehicle.

I've got a 450HP/550LB.FT. BBO running off the CCC, fairly mild cam by big block standards, into just W/Z manifolds and dual 2 1/2 with high flow cats in my 442 getting 18-20mpg . . . should get better with the 3.42s I'm moving to. With the engine specs and internals I used and mildly ported Edelbrock Aluminum heads as built, add 900 EFI, cam, and headers I am approaching 600HP and can detune that to probably get better mpgs than I'm getting now. Right now, I just hope to drive it again period with the current power plant post rear end rebuild, body bushing replacement, frame box since I have to take the body loose to replace them, then BACK to the suspension and brake swap.

It sounds to me like the 16 year old really wants the 500HP and to spend a LOT of money in the process.

But, what will the adult do for just a budget cruiser? I'll be watching no matter what you decide . . . It'll be fun no matter what you decide?

Reactions: 1 user

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
(y)(y):p You Guys are FUNNY!!!

Don't get me wrong... I'm not looking for 500hp and a big revamp of the whole car. Just a little more power to cruise around with. 275-300hp is all I'm after with the L31 Vortec 350 in front of the stock 3spd manual and stock 2.73:1 open diff.
There is no Budget on this car (I'm not 16 anymore) but I don't want to get too carried away either.

IF !!!...I wanted to get really crazy. The motor I would buy "TODAY" is GM's crate LS3, all aluminum 6.2L, 540hp N/A and put the Holley Terminator LS EFI System
But I'll save that build for another car.

Looks like 70% of the votes are for reviving the old dream.
And no one offered me $50,000 for the car so I guess I'll go ahead with the small block build.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Reactions: 1 users

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Well, unless 4 doors are a requirement, you could buy vanrah's Bronze Brick already done, and keep the Taxi all Iraqi.:unsure:
That would be nice, it's a nice car.
At the moment all I want is to drive "this" car around. Because I had one when I was 16, and every time I do drive it, I'm 16 again.
I just want to do what I always wanted to do with it, and put a small block in it.

Reactions: 1 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
That would be nice, it's a nice car.
At the moment all I want is to drive "this" car around. Because I had one when I was 16, and every time I do drive it, I'm 16 again.
I just want to do what I always wanted to do with it, and put a small block in it.
Then that's what you should do. Go for it.:cool:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor