Wacky idea on interior parts/smalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So I had an out-there idea on custom or non-original parts (i.e. different model year, but same model) parts. Inquiring about the HVAC/radio bezel, and finding out there are some minor differences on the attachment tabs between the ‘78-‘83 and ‘84-‘87 models.

My idea was to 3D-scan both bezels, and virtually “merge” the designs to have the ‘84-‘87 front with the ‘78-‘83 tabs, have it 3D printed, then have it “dipped” for the woodgrain. Might be more trouble than it’s worth, but opens up intriguing possibilities.

• Creative
Reactions: 4 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Full disclosure...I don’t own a 3D printer or have any experience with the technology. Just an idea I’ve had in my head.

As time goes by, I know it’s going to get increasingly difficult to find small trim pieces for our cars. It would be nice to start scanning them now, so at least we have a virtual blueprint for recreating them.

I hope GM won’t throw up roadblocks with “intellectual property” cease and desist orders, but doesn’t seem like they care much about the G-Body enthusiast community anyway. If they charged a reasonable annual licensing fee or something like $100 a year for reproducing parts, I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

Better yet, if they could digitize the schematics for the old trim pieces and create a subscription-based online library. As stated, maybe like $100 a year for unlimited use, or like 2¢ per download or something. Are there any lawyers on here? Would this be feasible?

For what it’s worth, I’d be willing to write a letter to Barra to pitch my idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor