wagon frame under 2 door malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortec81Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2011
Vancouver BC Canada
I own a 81 malibu wagon that needed some parts.. Ended up meeting my buddy who loves g bodies too, he sold me a complete 83 wagon for 250 bucks delivered. he also is going to sell me a 81 malibu, not sure on the price yet.

wondering if the 83 wagon frame will bolt under the 81 malibu 2 door. the 2 door frame is toast!!! I would be turning the 2 door into a muscle car, take all the parts off my wagon and turn the wagon into a 305 daily driver

vortec 2 door malibu here I come!

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
No. The body mounts are different towards the rear and I believe the LR frame rail is slightly further out to for the wagon gas tank.

jdracer13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2011
Atlanta and Pittsburgh
I know for sure that the El Comino and wagon frames are different, I know they have longer rear horns. I know that they won't fit without needing work to be done. I'm not quite sure what the exact differences to the detail are though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
here's a drawing of the G body frame. You'll find the only difference between a sedan and the station wagon at G. That gives you the measurement if you want to shorten the rear rails to use with your car..

normal_Metricframe.jpg

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
pontiacgp said:
here's a drawing of the G body frame. You'll find the only difference between a sedan and the station wagon at G. That gives you the measurement if you want to shorten the rear rails to use with your car..

normal_Metricframe.jpg

The diagram does not show the length difference for the rear rails, G is showing the height measurement for the rear rail difference between the two. see how G has a line ( <------> ) which is vertical not horizontal. At least that's how I am seeing the diagram.

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
When I replaced my frame on my elky everyone said only wagon and elky are same. I still have no proof that that is true. I purchased a g-body frame and all is well.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Wagon and El Camino are the same frame and floor pans.

Longer wheel base.
Measure from the trailing edge of the door to the rear wheel well.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1983regal said:
The diagram does not show the length difference for the rear rails, G is showing the height measurement for the rear rail difference between the two. see how G has a line ( <------> ) which is vertical not horizontal. At least that's how I am seeing the diagram.

your right, I had a better drawing of the frame and I can't find it..

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Most coupe/sedan frames are the same.
Wagon frames have different rear rails to clear the tank and filler.
Camino's have different rear rails as well as the longer wheelbase.

This pic shows the Camino rails on the left, coupe in the middle, and wagon on the right.

3setelcarsta.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor