Wagon front end rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
Hi guys. So I recently stopped driving my wagon because the ball joints and control arm bushings are way overdue for replacing. A delightful cracking sound from the balljoints verified this... You can actually feel the upper arm move around from the sloppy bushings so its parked until I finish this.
I already have new bushings and cross shafts, yes I am sticking with rubber bushings. The car already has new springs all the way around and shocks.
I think I have the spring compressing thing down, but I wanted to hear from people that have rebuilt their front ends if there are any time saving tricks etc that I may not think about. I am hoping a rental balljoint tool makes quick work of the lower BJ's.
What do you guys do for bushing removal and installation? I can access a press, but would like to see/hear how others have done this. It's hard for me to imagine a way of setting the arms on their sides to be able to press the bushings out.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This is the better spring compressor to use thats in my tool box. Most places that loan tools have them.
_0042_Coil-spring-compressor.png

I Also picked up a remover/installer set for the upper arm bushings at Advance, had a local shop do the lower bushings & ball joints.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor