Wagon Quarter Glass removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I made a video on how to remove the quarter glass on the g-body wagons, but really, it can be done to any butyle tape retained glass. Windshields, back glass, etc. I do it all the time. Usually by myself, but it helps to have a second set of hands or the corners. I'll be uploading it to u-tube tonight and posting a link. It was the best video camera, but you can get the just of it.

http://youtu.be/ZEnBbZANznQ I know the lighting ain't the best, but it is for a general idea, took me about 12 minutes to get it out.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Jim,
Lookin' forward to your instructional Youtube ...even though I had already removed my quarter windows. I do recall what a b*tch it was to remove them, but on the other hand, glad I did.
I still plan on removing the windshield. It's on the backburner right now.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Hey Jack, glad you got them out. They aren't too hard, the rivets can be a PITA. It is pretty much a video of me doing and talking with my kids in the background, lol, but it shows what to do. :mrgreen:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jack, I remove my windshield with one of these and it came out in one piece. I have tried other tools but I found this one to work the best. I just ran it along the window's edge on the outside then cut it from the inside until I was able to pop it out and cut along the bottom

681929_front200.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Me personally, I have never broke a windshield using the wire, I have used the "cutters" and have not had 100% luck. I can take 2 pairs of vise grip, a utility knife, and the wire and have the glass out in 10 minutes. But that is my experience with getting glass from the junk yard and taking it out of my old 60's cars ya know?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
liquidh8 said:
Hey Jack, glad you got them out. They aren't too hard, the rivets can be a PITA. It is pretty much a video of me doing and talking with my kids in the background, lol, but it shows what to do. :mrgreen:
=========================================================================================================
Jim,
I caught your video this AM. Man, I only wish it was available before I cut out my side windows. I ended up using a piano wire (full width). Had I used it the way you did, using one or two of the strands of cable I probably wouldn't have had to fight it as hard. However, I also used one of those cheapo retractable knives extended out. It pretty much emulated one of those long knives. Some of the lower seal was already kinda getting loose, so that helped a great deal.
The thing that concerns me is the window flange, or pinch weld area. There was an actual rubber seal there. Wish I held on to a piece of it to show you. From what I can tell, it added some cushioning to the glass, kind of like butyl tape, if that makes any sense.
Thanks for posting the video. :D

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
Jack, I remove my windshield with one of these and it came out in one piece. I have tried other tools but I found this one to work the best. I just ran it along the window's edge on the outside then cut it from the inside until I was able to pop it out and cut along the bottom

681929_front200.jpg
Steve,
I had a few of those linoleum knives over the years. I currently do not own one, but I can see how handy it would be for cutting out the urethane seal. I'll have to find a new one for my next venture.
Thanks again, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor