Wagon rear hatch key question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveshow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2015
I recently picked up an 82 malibu wagon (second g body now, the other is a 79 s dr.). I got two keys from the p.o. One fits the ignition, the other fits the front door. The same door key fits the rear hatch, but won't unlock it. I had an 80 malibu wagon years ago, and I seem to remember it having three keys. (A third one for the rear hatch.) Can someone with a wagon tell me if this is the case, or do I need to tear into the hatch to figure out why the door key won't open it? (Actually I'm not sure I can do that with it closed...)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Steve.
There should only be two keys. One for the ignition and one for the doors including the tailgate.
Post some pics of your wagon when you get a chance.
I think it would be difficult trying to get inside the tailgate, especially if it has the inner panel in place.
There's got to be a trick to get inside there....unfortunately, I've never learned it.

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have 3 keys. But the tailgate isn't original to the car.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
As many of the wagon owners can attest, the tailgate lock design and assembly leaves a lot to be desired, and it is common for it to have been previously replaced by prior owners. This was the case with 3 of the 6 I have owned. Quite possible you don't have a key for the tailgate lock at all.

Afterthought....you do realize that the whole outer bezel turns using the "wings", right? It isn't like the door locks where the key turns in the cylinder.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My rear key will not turn, even though it did when I first bought the car. Something has gone wrong inside. My plan is to unbolt the glass latch from inside the car, swing the hatch up and then reach in with a shim steel to release the latches on either die. Once I can lower the gate, I can take the inner panel off and investigate what is the problem. Not sure if that is beyond what the OP was hoping to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor