Wagon Rear Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is a copy and paste from FB folks. Im tired of writing.

So, this is a bit of a rant and a bit of technical information for you wagon owners.
Last week I picked up the newly reupholstered rear seat for my wagon. This seat was redone in NOS Olds medium gray cloths and vinyl that was purchased from SMS Auto Fabrics. Im sure some folks will think it was a lot of money but 12 yards of OEM cloths was $1030 delivered to my door. Yup. a pretty big hit.

So now the good news. The rear seat looked amazing. Seams were perfect. Color went well with the gray that I used on the plastic.
The first shop I took the front and rear seats to wanted $3400 to redo them. Yup. The prices in my area are all pretty much the same but I found a guy that did both seats for $2K.
So today I put the seat bottom in the car and I could see there was a problem with the fit. There was a huge gap from the back of the seat to the floor.
Long story short, for any of you guys that think a sedan seat and wagon seat are interchangeable YOURE WRONG !!!

So now Im going back to the shop that did the seat. Theres hopefully enough material left to redo the original seat. Am I pissed ? You could say that. Its not a good day. lol

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Wow... That sucks.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
saw that too, but it confused me, did you give them a sedan rear seat to use or did they switch it out with one?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
To be honest I think I spoke too soon. When I put the newly upholstered seat bottom back in the car there was a large gap from the rear edge going back to the cargo area floor. The seat bottom came from a low mile Cutlass sedan and the foam was in much better shape than the seat that came in the wagon when I bought it. I tried to fit the old seat bottom and it turns out they both fit the same way. Im glad I kept the old seat.
You can see in the photos that the space is the same and the seats look close in shape on the floor. The old seat looks a little different but I think its the way the seat was redone when the previous owner had it. The cloth ended further back and they stuffed more foam there. It really was pretty worn out compared to the sedan bottom.
Its been over two years since I pulled the interior out of the car so I dont really remember how it looked and I didnt take any photos of the seats. After all, how can I forget how a seat goes in ? LMAO
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor