Wagon Tailgate locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBlasey

n00b
Feb 4, 2020
I have a 79 Pontiac Lemans Wagon. The rear lock handle is broken off and I can't get the tailgate to open. I removed the latch bolts to get the glass open. Is there any way to manually open the tailgate? It may be locked, not sure.
Please help.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
If you can fish down the latch opening you might be able to get the latch to open up. It depends how careful you want to be with that tailgate plastic panel. I've gotten a couple open in junkyard wagons that I didn't care about the metal around the lock, which is admittedly easier than not caring about the panels. But if I recall the tailgate latch doesn't need a ton of movement to open up, would think a screw driver through that top opening can get it with some maneuvering.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Your latch handle is broke, but cant you still turn it with the key CAREFULLY to get it open this time, just to get it open to repair it. Use a pair of Pliers and hold the key tight to the gate lock and turn it, should open it up. WELOCME by the way! Love to see your wagon sometime!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Backup plan is to inset a thin metal strip on each side of the tailgate to push in the side latches. Anyone tried this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor