Wagon weatherstripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Hey im looking for the door weather stripping and rear hatch glass stripping for my malibu wagon can someone point me in the right direction

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Try these people http://www.dannoenterprises.com/wchevy.htm#ChevyG

As for the tailgate/ hatch opening seal. Go to your local junkyard and get one from a Plymouth Voyager/ Dodge Caravan from the mid to later '90's. They don't quite look like the original, but they work well...and it's alot cheaper then an OEM seal..if you can find one.
Forget about the one that goes over the top of the tailgate. You're just going to have to make due, or find a good used one and treat it with a good rubber preservative.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Hey thanks looks like that site has them and the price isnt bad as for the one that runs along top of my tailgate I can save it I think its not to bad maybe like u said a rubber preservative of some kind

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, I notice that they're pretty reasonable. I still have to order door seals, and window run channels from them.
Unfortunately, that one rubber tailgate strip is NLA. Fortunately, I took one from a really clean junkyard wagon years ago. It was in like new condition. I'm glad I saved it. I also took the tailgate/ hatch opening rubber, too, but haven't used it.
I kinda like the minivan seal. They work well.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
1980PontiacWagon said:
Can anyone confirm yes or no that those seals will work on a pontiac wagon.
I can't see why they won't. If they work on a Chevy, or Olds. They should certainly work on a Pontiac.
He sells Metro brand weatherstripping. I haven't used it myself, but have heard that it's a good quality weatherstripping.
I'm always heard good things about Soffseal products, but again I've no experience with their products either.
I'm sure some guys will chime in with their positive or negative feedback.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just bought (OK, a month ago) F&R wagon door weatherstrips off ebay from one of the Monte vendors for 49.95 shipped/pair...they were Soffseal. Look OK, have not installed yet. They're going on my old blue wagon IF the new owner ever gets around to jambing it.

Danno does have the best price on the belt weatherstips, though. If you want inners AND outers, you have to look in the Pontiac section..they're there and work on all G wagons.

Jack, I used the Soffseal roofrail weatherstrips on my old 2 door, no complaints. I see people whine about them, but even the OEM weatherstrips require some adjustment of the windows...the cars are 30 years old, after all. None of this stuff just "falls in", despite what people think. Just like panel fitment..it varied from pretty good to pretty horrific, as they left the plant.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ribbedroof said:
Jack, I used the Soffseal roofrail weatherstrips on my old 2 door, no complaints. I see people whine about them, but even the OEM weatherstrips require some adjustment of the windows...the cars are 30 years old, after all. None of this stuff just "falls in", despite what people think. Just like panel fitment..it varied from pretty good to pretty horrific, as they left the plant.
Brian,
I guess what you're implying is, regardless of brand, they're still going to require a little finessing .

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Hey Jack,

The door weatherstrips on the sedans/wagons should pretty much be a no-brainer, but the hardtops need a little adjusting. Biggest issue on ours is going to be letting them take a "set"...probably be a little tight until they do.

I really need to replace the ones on the Pontiac, but same deal...don't want to until the car is jambed, since the OE finish is not looking the best.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
This is a subject I have considerable interest in and through my experience, limited success with the after-market manufacturers of weather-stripping. That said, the only reference I have is the use of some of the most popular brands in restoring high end Camaros, El Caminos, Impalas and Chevelles.

Someone used the term in talking about the door weather-stripping as they need to "Take a Set". This is probably the understatement of the year however it is as accurate as one can come to saying the replacements don't squish, compact or compress like the original GM formula. There's a reason for that and although I don't have all the specifics, and as far as I know unless it recently changed, GM still holds the patent on the material formulation that produces the desired squish and seal affect.

That said, I'm at the point I need to seriously consider what product I'm going to use and am interested in additional feedback on several of the new players. I have never used Metro or Danno and am curious if anyone has a position yay or nay with their stuff. For reference, I'm looking at a supplier that I have purchased numerous quality parts from over the years, Trim Parts. Curious if anyone has used their stuff. I’ve included their spiel below:

Make: Malibu - Wagon Years: 1978-87
Manufacturer: TrimParts
Part #- TPW40023

Includes: Rear Door Weather-strip Only

All items are manufactured using the original GM tooling under licensing direct from GM. These are the highest quality weather-stripping parts available. Each part is licensed under the GM Restoration Parts Program for reproduction and each item meets GM guidelines for quality and authenticity.

It’s not my intention to “hijack” the thread, just thought we could get this out in the light with some real input. Personally, after all the work I put into this car, I really don’t want the doors bouncing back in my face when I try to use a light touch to close them. I don’t think that’s too much to ask from a supplier.

ssbrewskyaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor