wandering idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I recently rebuilt my carb because of a stuck needle and it's no longer flooding but I'm now having an idle issue. Stock 84 Hurst olds 307, previous owner put in a power chip, not sure which one all I know is it requires 93 octane. The idle will wander a few hundred rpm normally between. 1200-1500 but when I let off the gas it trys to die out or it likes to idle close to 600 when I'm trying to go slowly up my driveway (slight incline) I have been able to solve the problem by doing one thing, disconnect the TPS. Took it around the block with it disconnect a few times and it runs amazing. Any idea why it is only good with the TPS off. I'm still trying to understand the computer system on this car, I believe it controls timing and the smog equipment and the tcc solenoid, what else does it do that's important?

Last edited:

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Do I need a scanner to read them? Ive only had one car with a computer controlled carb and that was soon made non ccc, seemed easier to put a holley on rather than mess with tuning the computer to my set up

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I have no codes coming up, tried to move the car with the tps connected and it died as soon as I put it in drive. I then disconnected the tps and it was fine. I also have taken off the A.I.R. pump because it was in the way and the hoses were dry rotted.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Why is your car iding so high? Even high idle is only really supposed to be 1200-1300. Warm idle in park is 800-1000. Your TPS might just be bad.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
When I take the TPS off it idles around 1000. How can I test to see if the TPS is bad?

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I don't know if this problem is related but the 1-2 shift seems delayed by a few seconds but 2-3 if nice amd quick.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have no codes coming up, tried to move the car with the tps connected and it died as soon as I put it in drive. I then disconnected the tps and it was fine. I also have taken off the A.I.R. pump because it was in the way and the hoses were dry rotted.

shouldn't disconnecting the TPS throw a code? By that chart the TPS code is 21 or 22, maybe the ECU is bad

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I thought it would but I couldn't get any codes to come up with the TPS connected and disconnected

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor