Want a new Cam and Headers for my 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugnificent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2017
Hi, I have an '85 Regal, and I want to put a new camshaft as well as headers in my 350 Small Block.

I'd like to have more power, and some more torque as well.

What Camshaft and Headers would you recommend?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
We need some more specs to help you out man.

Is it a small block chevy 350, or a BOP engine?
Do you know what cam is currently in it?
What type of driving, or what is the intended use of the Regal?

There are so many variables to consider when selecting a bumpstick and headers. Too big a cam on the street and it becomes a vacuum brake robbing nightmare(vacuum pumps fix the issue).

If it's a street duty, cruising setup, a cam with decent lift and an lobe separation of 112° and up has WAY better manners, but provides less "chop" and surging.
Any mid length header will help with low end grunt, but lose a bit up in the RPM range, but are easier for fitment issues. Long tube headers excel in the upper range, but most need some persuasion to fit properly.

If it's a gen1 350 Chevy ('86-earlier) I have a new in box Comp Cams 268xfi cam and lifter set. It has good vacuum characteristics as it's designed for a fuel injected engine, but works well in a carbed engine. The powerband is large providing some good torque and HP over stock!
PM me if interested.

Not trying to overwhelm you with info, but picking the right cam is the most important part of the puzzle!

HTH,
Scott

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Rear gear ratio, torque converter stall speed, compression ratio all factor in on cam selection the more detail you give us, the better the advice you will get back.

• Agree

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Ditto Scott - Need to know what your expectations are. The intake, carb, cam, converter, heads, exhaust, and rear end are a package that need to complement each other for proper results.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor