Want soft ride but better handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlyhtx

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2018
Hey fellas, I've been doing some research but can't really find an answer. I got a 87 Camino, I love the soft ride it has but don't care for the handling. What would be my best options, shocks wise for keeping a soft ride but better handling?

Should I get coil overs or will they make the ride too stiff? Just looking for some guidance here. Thanks

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have RideTech coilovers and 18" wheels. Handles great, definitely has a firmer ride than stock. Only you can decide what is too firm, soft, etc. You can't have handling and a cushy ride, they just don't go together. There will have to be a compromise somewhere. What tire and wheels are you running now or plan on running? That will have an effect on not only the ride and handling, but what some of your other choices should be too.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would say build it for handling but run 15" tires that are relatively tall and wide and then later if you want you can go bigger in rims with a short sidewall and really feel the handling.

Reactions: 1 user

Charlyhtx

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2018
I have RideTech coilovers and 18" wheels. Handles great, definitely has a firmer ride than stock. Only you can decide what is too firm, soft, etc. You can't have handling and a cushy ride, they just don't go together. There will have to be a compromise somewhere. What tire and wheels are you running now or plan on running? That will have an effect on not only the ride and handling, but what some of your other choices should be too.
It has 16" iroc wheel now but I plan on putting 18s later down the line

Charlyhtx

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2018
Also, this is by no means a track car, is it even worth doing tubular control arms or would new stock control arms be fine with coil overs over coil springs?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As said, good shocks help both handling and ride quality. As said, start with big sway bars. I can tell you on my Challenger GT rides and stops along with handling even better than our old base Challenger. The base SE was always rougher but the struts were getting really weak after 180,000 km, banging a lot. My 88 Cutlass also is smooth but handles awful, either Challenger or my 70S Cutlass would leave it in the dust on a road course. I did put 4 new Monroe Sensatrac shocks on my 88, it helped quite a bit. I think big sway may be my fix as well.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Also, look at changing the dynamic camber curve with taller ball joints. Plenty of discussion on how to do it and what fits/doesn’t if you use the search. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Umi sway bars any good?
Yes. Something else to consider is the rear Blazer bar as it ties the axle to the frame; the factory bar just ties the lower control arms together.
I saw mention of IROC rims; I'll assume you're running the factory size tire, 245/50-16. I have Xtreme wheels, and am running a 225/60 for a little more sidewall (extra cushy). Of course, that's a moot point if you want to go 18s which is counter-productive to this entire discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor