want to build a kit car???

Status
Not open for further replies.
jonnyslick said:
actually .. make that FOUR ...

4. Caterham Super 7

A Caterham is the only one you would ever need. After that, driving any other car is a big disappointment. BTW, if a Caterham is too expensive, look at the Locost. It uses a Caterham like body, but has all the mechanicals of a donor Mazda Miata.

Then again, I wouldn't turn down an Ariel Atom or a Radical SR8 either!

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
BTW, if a Caterham is too expensive, look at the Locost. It uses a Caterham like body, but has all the mechanicals of a donor Mazda Miata.

Actually that is but one variant of the "Locost". The original Locosts in England used small Fords as their donors, ans sense then just about anything you can think of has been used. You can get the Locost build book that has the basic plans that you can modify to your particular donor parts. There is a kit you can buy that is based on using the 4.3 Chevy as the engine.

I personally have always wanted to build one based around the aluminum Buick 215 V8 or something similar. Another I would like to do is build one around the Toyota 4AGE Blacktop motor.

rebelgtp said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
BTW, if a Caterham is too expensive, look at the Locost. It uses a Caterham like body, but has all the mechanicals of a donor Mazda Miata.

Actually that is but one variant of the "Locost". The original Locosts in England used small Fords as their donors, ans sense then just about anything you can think of has been used. You can get the Locost build book that has the basic plans that you can modify to your particular donor parts. There is a kit you can buy that is based on using the 4.3 Chevy as the engine.

I personally have always wanted to build one based around the aluminum Buick 215 V8 or something similar. Another I would like to do is build one around the Toyota 4AGE Blacktop motor.

I'll second the 4AGE Blacktop!!! 20 valves!!! What a fun little terror that would be to run through the gears! I have wanted to put one in an AE-86 and build an Initial D clone for some time now, but in an even lighter Seven type vehicle it would be amazing.

Yeah I use to have a '86 GTS coupe and a '91 240SX hatch. The S13 I actually beat an EVO in a down hill run though by the bottom my brakes were smoked (they were stock and it gave me a reason to change them out).

I installed several 4AGE motors in drift cars, sometimes only to watch them get blown up by the drivers the next day.

I would love to build a Locost with the Black Top and enter it in a drift event just for the heck of it. :lol: Actually now that I have a garage I may decide to build one along side the Olds before I take on any other sort of projects. Sell off my Harley race bike and use the money to fund the Locost.

My next project car will be a 4 cylinder import, I just don't know which one. My favorites (in no particular order) are: An Austin Mini with a B16B swap, an AE-86 Initial D clone, S13 with a red top SR20DET, A B13 Sentra SE-R with a BBDET and a B15 6 speed, or a Datsun PL510 2 door with either a KA24DE or a SR20DET swap. Low weight is such a great equalizer in vehicle dynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor