Want to fix the "boaty" suspension on my '85 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugnificent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2017
Hi there,

I am not very knowledgeable about the suspension on g-bodys or really at all, and wanted to know what I need to stop the boaty effect the shocks are giving to the car. Would all I need be new shocks? Or would there be any other parts required. I am fine with the lift of the car and dont want it lowered or raised, just for a firm ride rather than the rocky or boaty feeling it puts out now. Are replacing the shocks ( plus whatever else I possibly need ) all I need to do? Would a new set of OEM shocks work? If not, what would you suggest?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Change front springs. Moog 5660 if you have an iron small block with ac. 5658 if it's lighter. Factory g body front springs are low rate long ones that raise the front on bumps and bottom easily. The new Moog ones will sit a bit higher than factory so either cut them a bit or change front lower ball joints to proforged .5" longer and it is close to factory. It corrects some of the geometry in the front suspension and if you have over 50k on your lowers they wouldn't hurt to be changed. The Moog 5600 is an s10 spring that is stiffer and shorter but still rides ok since it's a factory spring.

Some Bilstein shocks or kyb gas adjust on a budget will greatly improve the ride for a low price. 300 for all shocks springs and ball joints or 200 for just springs and shocks will help a lot.

Reactions: 1 user

Thugnificent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2017
So just to clarify, you recommend me to change the front springs to the Moog 5660 if i have an A/C on my small block? But also shocks too, either bilstein or kyb. would all these parts fit on with no other things necessary?

Thugnificent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2017
So just to clarify, you recommend me to change the front springs to the Moog 5660 if i have an A/C on my small block? But also shocks too, either bilstein or kyb. would all these parts fit on with no other things necessary?

also when you say ac, we're talking about the a/c like air conditioning?

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Yes. Iron headed small block and he’s referring to air condition with ac

My car is night and day difference. Ours uses a bmr rear spring also with the moog 5660 in front
I use a dropped spindle to lower it with Kyb shocks

Reactions: 1 users

Thugnificent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2017

My car is night and day difference. Ours uses a bmr rear spring also with the moog 5660 in front

Okay so I should get the front springs as well as rear springs, plus the kyb shocks. Can I install this in my driveway? Would all i need is jack + jackstand and tools?

Also, I was looking at http://www.maliburacing.com/tech_rearend_swaps.html . I'm assuming that I have the 7.5" GM 10 bolt rear end in my regal as its stock and does a 1 tire burnout, if i use one of the kits to bolt in a "take off" posi unit, would that hinder any of the suspension upgrades we were talking about?

Thugnificent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2017

i was just looking at the price for the bmr, right now thats out of my budget so i would do that later

Reactions: 1 users

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Moog makes a rear spring for the car
That might fit your budget better

You can always buy parts and preform work as you go

The 7.5 internals won’t affect ride height or quality if you change it out

But most will say don’t waste your time on that 7.5

Reactions: 1 user

Thugnificent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2017
Moog makes a rear spring for the car
That might fit your budget better

You can always buy parts and preform work as you go

The 7.5 internals won’t affect ride height or quality if you change it out

But most will say don’t waste your time on that 7.5

if i plan to swap out the rearend instead of keeping the 7.5", would that mean id have to change anything with the suspension?

Also, will i only need to buy the shocks and springs? no other part needed to install?

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Some cars use a 8.5 rear
Just find one of those for easy peasy rear end upgrade

Springs and shocks should do it
Check the rest of the parts while your working on it. Balljoints ect wear out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor