WANTED: set of 1978-1980 NOS Roof Rail Weatherstrips (non T-Top)

Trader history for BlueCalais79 (0)

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Looking for NOS only, especially the passenger's side. My 1979 Cutlass Calais badly needs the roof rail weatherstrip replaced, the wind noise at highway speeds is getting unbearable.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
You got that right, The Parts Place has a stock of Drivers Side NOS for $209 each, but of course that's not the side I need.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You probably would want to find p/n 20737658. It superseded the original p/n 20154106. Apparently, GM figured the original weatherstrip compressed too much and gapped too often causing way too many air leaks. Kinda like what you're experiencing now. The newer number is a slight design change to help the weatherstrip seal better. There's some engineering literature somewhere along the line discussing this. I believe it was for the 1987 model year, but I can't recall exactly. Even if it doesn't have a package, you can check for the raised numbers on the back side of the weatherstrip to see which one you have. I believe it's the last 2 or 3 numbers, I think. This is only for the GM weatherstrips. I have no idea what aftermarket does.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Highway Stars advertises both sides as a set, but have no earthly idea how much they're asking for the set. It says to call them. Which means "DIG DEEP".

Reactions: 1 users

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
I may be digging. Thanks for this lead, I am going to call them later today and see what they want for the set. I'll report back once I get the bottom line. This is a must do, there is no way I'm going to pull apart the original seal and place on an inferior aftermarket piece. In fact I probably will not even do this job for fear of fouling it up.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It ain't hard. There's push pins on the ends (NOS seals do not come with the push pins, btw) and once that's off, you simply peel out the old weatherstrip. GM usually used a thin, squiggly line of apparently 3M black weatherstrip adhesive during assembly to keep the seal in place and seal up the backside of it between the rubber and channel. You can reuse your push pins perhaps, but a lot of times they get torn up on removal. GM p/n 8731909. 5 or 6 per side IIRC. Look at your existing ones and count 'em up.

I'm assuming you still remember about a month ago you asked about this, and I gave you some tips to help do it yourself. Just don't go crazy with the 3M adhesive and things should be ok.

In my experience, NOBODY has been able to beat genuine GM parts when it comes to roof rail/door/trunk seals. They're normally softer and obviously fit the best. As far as the best aftermarket, I can't tell you. I tried soffseal many moons ago and what a PITA. I swapped them out with NOS GM seals and never looked back. Maybe they're better now, but generally speaking, I've found aftermarkets firmer than the originals.

As for tips...

Some people don't use the recommended 3M black w/s adhesive, and if you don't, eventually the sh*t will pop out. All you need is about an 1/8" squiggle line of adhesive to attach. And get some wide popsicle sticks or better yet, those little wooden taste test spoons they use at grocery stores for those little taste test stations. Rounded corners. Works well for pushing the rubber into the channels.

Make SURE to use the push pins on the ends of the strip. If yours don't come with them, use GM p/n 8731909 or aftermarket equivalent.

I'm suspecting no T-tops, so I'd start with the C-pillar top corner and work my way to the front and then down the C-pillar. Test fit first to ensure you got the seal situated where you want it. Once you have it set in where the "final" fit goes, then pull out the C-channel (vertical) rubber to the top 90 degree corner, and apply adhesive (don't put too much on it) and attach the corner permanently. Then pick an end and work your way along the channel keeping the seal from being bunched up, but don't stretch it. Use finesse. Once at the end, put an adhesive strip along the middle of the strip.

Reactions: 1 user

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Thanks, that was a good lead, but they are sold out with no hope of re-stocking. I think for starters I'm going to get the NOS LH side the Parts Place has, that side does need it just not as bad as the passengers side. I'll use your tips for installing it, thx

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Picked up the LH side from the Parts Place, and 12 nos 8731909 push pins on e-bay along with that adhesive so I'm good to go for the drivers side. That side needs as well but the passengers side is really bad. As I've written before, if the wife notices it, then it's time to fix it.

I agree with you 100% on the NOS stuff, I'll just wait it out for one to come along. Hope I don't die first.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
And to think, people called me crazy for paying $75 each back when you could still get them from the dealer.

Here's what I was talking about when I mentioned the partial part number cast into the part on the backside. I don't believe aftermarket does this. This is the easiest way to tell if the weatherstrip is NOS or not.

7659 LH Roof Rail weatherstrip.JPG

And ensure your push pins are the Christmas Tree-like ones with the flat heads if you're looking for the factory look. I'm not sure if they're still making them the same. GM does that sometimes.

weatherstrip push pins.JPG

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor